Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Shower floor tiles taking 4 days to dry in the corners in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
My new (1 month old) shower floor has 2" porcelain hexagon tiles. I noticed the grout stayed wet much longer in each bottom corner of the wall that is across from the shower head . About 4" of floor corner grout - both directions in 2 corners , and around the single tiles that are adjacent to the 4" of wall corner.
I stopped using the shower to see how long it would take for the grout to completely dry and it took a good 4 days.
The one unusual thing about my shower is that the width is slightly narrow ( only 30" wide from the shower head wall to the "problem wall", so the shower head sprays water directly on that wall. (vs spaying over the drain as would be the normal water flow.)
Self diagnosing, I thought maybe that wall got an excessive amount of water than is normal.
I did notice the grout has hairline cracking in those 2 corners, but I don't know if it is a result of not drying or was originally that way.
My tiler used Mapei grout that did not require sealing. Also it is grout along the bottom where the wall and floor meet, not silicone.
(In other threads I read silicone was sometimes used in that area instead of grout. )
Could you advise a solution? Should I have my tiler come and fix the grout or change it to silicone? Or is this normal?
I am worried about mold, because if the shower is used every day, (not every 4 days!) this area will never be dry. Thank you!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My new (1 month old) shower floor has 2" porcelain hexagon tiles. I noticed the grout stayed wet much longer in each bottom corner of the wall that is across from the shower head . About 4" of floor corner grout - both directions in 2 corners , and around the single tiles that are adjacent to the 4" of wall corner.
I stopped using the shower to see how long it would take for the grout to completely dry and it took a good 4 days.
The one unusual thing about my shower is that the width is slightly narrow ( only 30" wide from the shower head wall to the "problem wall", so the shower head sprays water directly on that wall. (vs spaying over the drain as would be the normal water flow.)
Self diagnosing, I thought maybe that wall got an excessive amount of water than is normal.
I did notice the grout has hairline cracking in those 2 corners, but I don't know if it is a result of not drying or was originally that way.
My tiler used Mapei grout that did not require sealing. Also it is grout along the bottom where the wall and floor meet, not silicone.
(In other threads I read silicone was sometimes used in that area instead of grout. )
Could you advise a solution? Should I have my tiler come and fix the grout or change it to silicone? Or is this normal?
I am worried about mold, because if the shower is used every day, (not every 4 days!) this area will never be dry. Thank you!
Morning, i wall to floor or tray transition should be siliconed and not grouted. There should also be no cracking of the grout joints.

Reply to Shower floor tiles taking 4 days to dry in the corners in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock