Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss help with siliconing a shower floor in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys my name is Lauren, I really need some hard to get advice and my tile experience is limited. The floor in my grandmother's shower in an old second story bathroom is a bit flexible and the sealant has worn out around the shower floor on the inside. I'm hoping to seal that back up quickly before any obvious signs of leakage.

While there aren't many shower silicones available here. I've been told for that part of the shower interior, I shouldn't try and use a typical hard modulus sealant because it can't stretch and I need one that can handle some movement so it doesn't break after a few days. They usually don't list flexibility in shower Sealant and I haven't been able to find any information on what would be best or reliable to use for this particular issue? I don't know if a medium modulus is better? But I could use any advice on specific products like that for showers that do the same job while allowing a little movement, and where I might get them? Or if anyone just knows of others to try in case I can't? Thanks, it would really be a big help to get the right sealant the first time and not to have to strip it after it leaked.

So far there's no noticeable water damage detected, though I don't have access to the base tray so I can't really check. It is useable and hopefully this is all it needs. But If there are any suggestions or tips of what to use to fix it even just in the short term during this endless lockdown it would be greatly appreciated and help us both out. Anyway thank you all very much!

Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi guys my name is Lauren, I really need some hard to get advice and my tile experience is limited. The floor in my grandmother's shower in an old second story bathroom is a bit flexible and the sealant has worn out around the shower floor on the inside. I'm hoping to seal that back up quickly before any obvious signs of leakage.

While there aren't many shower silicones available here. I've been told for that part of the shower interior, I shouldn't try and use a typical hard modulus sealant because it can't stretch and I need one that can handle some movement so it doesn't break after a few days. They usually don't list flexibility in shower Sealant and I haven't been able to find any information on what would be best or reliable to use for this particular issue? I don't know if a medium modulus is better? But I could use any advice on specific products like that for showers that do the same job while allowing a little movement, and where I might get them? Or if anyone just knows of others to try in case I can't? Thanks, it would really be a big help to get the right sealant the first time and not to have to strip it after it leaked.

So far there's no noticeable water damage detected, though I don't have access to the base tray so I can't really check. It is useable and hopefully this is all it needs. But If there are any suggestions or tips of what to use to fix it even just in the short term during this endless lockdown it would be greatly appreciated and help us both out. Anyway thank you all very much!
Hey Lauren
It sounds like a simple fix. Is there a lot of movement in the shower base? Hopefully not. If its just the sealant split, then I would suggest cleaning it all off using a stanley blade or a sealant removal tool. It might be good to clean the tray and tiles using metholated spirits to remove any soap/grease deposits. If you get any mould resistant silicone it will be ok.
The best method to apply it is to use a silicone blade, (a small plastic profile with different sizes of silicone shapes) most DIY shops should supply. Cut the nozzle to around to around 3-4mm but more if the gap is bigger and pump it into the gap. Then using your finger spread it along the base. Then run the plastic silicone tool along to remove the excess.
It will also be advisable to try and get some (Wonder wipes) It could get messy.
Try looking on youtube also for tips.
Good luck.
Joe

Reply to help with siliconing a shower floor in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock