Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Should we be worried about these large companies going bust are near to. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
All i seem to be hearing is these large companies failing or on the brink, looking at kier and even smaller ones like shaylers group, should we be worried at the state of the industry, is it a case of mis management, under pricing are due to the economy or bloody brexit.
Any thoughts

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I only work domestic but I have noticed new enquiries slowing down over the past couple of months, and have had a few cancellations recently.

D

Dumbo

It's underpricing and the fact they pay their management such huge bonuses. I mean they put in tenders then say we need another 20 million , how does that work . What's the price of tendering . I heard on the news that somebody like the CEO of persimmon got a 100 million bonus , then it got reduced to 75 and he left the company .

OP
Wishiwasatoptiler
Reaction score
Thats unreal, the guy that started that house builder owns a lot of northumberland farming areas, sure he still owns a big chunk of it, i had a spell for a few weeks where the phone never rang, worried a bit even though Ive months and months of work but it started ringing again, do you think it has a negative effect on peoples spending decisions.

J

J Sid

you lot start talk about house builders and I start getting more f....... Google adds, now bloo......house builders.
please watch what you talk about :mad:

wp_ss_20190616_0001.png

T

Time's Ran Out

Where did you get my name from?
The first question to ask any new enquiry.
Get your terms agreed and the first time your money isn’t there - leave.
No carrot is worth putting your family through the stress that non payment will bring.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I went very quiet at the beginning of the year.
Even had a week off where I ran out of work.
I'm convinced it was all to do with brexit, people worried about job security etc.
Now the government has ball's it all up I think people have just got totally fed up with it, and carried on as normal.
And Now, I've never been so busy, turning work away on a daily basis.

As for the big builders, I heard on the wireless, persimmons made a small fortune selling Homes on the government right to buy schemes, and in most cases the home owners would have been better off just buying the house themselves..

D

Dumbo

I went very quiet at the beginning of the year.
Even had a week off where I ran out of work.
I'm convinced it was all to do with brexit, people worried about job security etc.
Now the government has ball's it all up I think people have just got totally fed up with it, and carried on as normal.
And Now, I've never been so busy, turning work away on a daily basis.

As for the big builders, I heard on the wireless, persimmons made a small fortune selling Homes on the government right to buy schemes, and in most cases the home owners would have been better off just buying the house themselves..
That's how I heard it on jezza vine

C

Concrete guy

IMO Brexit (and all the fluff surrounding it) is hiding a much bigger global problem.

The world economy never actually recovered from the credit crunch 10 years ago, a combination of the vacuum of zero percent interest rates and printing money has kept it at bay for a decade. When looked at in detail the major banks (particularly in the USA) are in a bigger pile of poo now than they were 10 years ago.

If you've not watched the film "The Big Short" I advise you do, it really demonstrates how ludicrous capitalism based on banking and FIAT currencies is. It also manages to do so in an entertaining and genuinely funny way.

Now is the time to cut overheads if you have any, save cash and put it somewhere it won't get decimated (premium bonds and such).

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
lots of the large construction giants have little or no real control over the costs of building on site. they tender at rock bottom prices and hope to make their money by extras or spec changes but much of this gets eaten up by overspends, over runs and generally crap building. No such thing as a fixed price contract in reality. Lots of the smaller and mid sized guys get sucked into the issues due to poor cash flow brought on by extended payment terms and invoice querying. And Anyone who thinks Brexit is not affecting us is a nutter...

Reply to Should we be worried about these large companies going bust are near to. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock