Discuss Should I Use A Primer? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

feral

Hi, will be tiling my bathroom and am wondering if I need to use a primer? Most of the bathroom is painted plaster, so will score the walls and sand those areas before tiling. The other area around the bath already has tiles, and will be removing those. I am using Mapei Kerequick adhesive, but am not sure if I need to prime the walls before applying the adhesive or not. And if so…which primer should I use? Have looked on Lilley & Stone and they have a few, but it's a bit confusing. Any guidance much appreciated! :)

H

hmtiling

Defo primer!
I'd be using an acrylic one such as weber pr360 but probably best to stick with the same brand so go with eco prim t.

J

J Sid

I believe your chosen tile will probably be to heavy for a plastered wall, let alone a painted wall.
I would be stripping all areas to be tiled right out and reboarding, or over boarding.

You will many that are happy to just prime and tile :(

F

feral

thank you - i have 8mm porcelain…i just looked it up, and it's borderline :/ no one explained about weight and suitability of what they are being attached to when i bought them, guess i should have researched a little better.

O

Old Mod

thank you - i have 8mm porcelain…i just looked it up, and it's borderline :/ no one explained about weight and suitability of what they are being attached to when i bought them, guess i should have researched a little better.
Actually, I think it's the retailer who should point out suitability of substrates, especially if they are purely a tile retailer.

J

J Sid

Boarder line onto perfect plaster with no paint. Who can tell how well the plaster was fix ?
Don't risk it. Do it once and do it right. ;)

T

Tile Shop

Plaster should come off first unles you can screw through to a substantial surface behind.

Without screws, you're relying on the plaster to hold the weight of the board, the tiles and 2 layers of adhesive.

So now we need to know, whats behind the plaster?

F

feral

thanks, i believe it is either brieze block or brick - all solid walls i.e. not stud walls. the flat was built in 1953 so it's pretty solid construction.

Reply to Should I Use A Primer? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks