Discuss Should I board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Gnasher

TF
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to tile my sons bathroom where most of the the skim plaster has come off when removing the few tiles there were and the rest of the bathroom is covered in artex, which is quite old and probably contains asbestos. Under the plaster is a very absorbent soft plaster, I asusme this could be browning but not sure. I was thinking the easiest and quickest way to deal with this is to simply board it out with 6mm cement board and mechanically fix it to the walls, asking the plumber to allow for this when fixing the new bath etc. Any thoughts or better solutions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Gnasher

jdnest

-
Reaction score
Hi Gnasher

If I've read it correctly you're tiling the walls?

I'd use a backerboard such as Jackoboard over the old stuff and tape/seal/tank as you mentioned you're doing anyway. They add much less weight to the room and give a perfect surface or tiling. Plus they're easy to size in the room, just score and snap.

Just make sure you fix the boards securely to the walls to take the weight of there tiles.

Hope that helps.
J

Reply to Should I board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks