Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Setting out subways - shower, niche and sloped roof in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello again.

Got the kit laid out and ready to lay the first tiles after a challenging time with the shower tray. Just a couple of answers would help me out a great deal.

1) The centre wall for the shower is 1400mm, tiles 200x100. Accounting for 2mm for expansion at either end and 2mm grout, I'd have 5 full tiles and 2 at 192mm. Do I..
Option a: Treat the 192mm cuts as a 'full' tile to avoid tiny cuts on shower wall (one has niche and shower). This would save me cutting about 40 tiles.
Option b: Start from corner adjacent to shower and use full tile there, leaving the small cut for the other wall.

Both options would allow me to avoid small cuts on the main shower wall.

2) For the niche, I'm unable to get a the top and bottom finishing on a full tile, I looked at extra backer board inside and off-setting first row, but neither work. Would you
a: have equal cuts top and bottom of niche?
b: prioritise one over the other?
c: ensure shower valves fall on a grout line and go from there?

3) The outer walls are different heights, meaning I have a sloped ceiling to deal with on the centre wall, any tips there?

I'm trying to follow advice on here and understand its not going to be perfect, simply not sure where to prioritise with the niche, shower valves etc. I'm happy to do what's best, regardless of cuts etc, but don't want to make unnecessary work for myself and trying to keep it simple.

FYI. I've got a Rubi Star cutter and angle grinder with tile cutting blade (not cheap!)

Literally waiting to mix the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Thanks for the advice fellas

Reply to Setting out subways - shower, niche and sloped roof in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock