Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Setting out Herringbone pattern in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

Jimbobble

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Never done a herringbone pattern before.
What to watch out for please boyos?
Ta,
Jim.

OP
F

Flintstone

Spend lots of time measuring, it's tricky setting out but once your into it it's ok

OP
J

Jimbobble

Spend lots of time measuring, it's tricky setting out but once your into it it's ok

Same as a half bond metro set out but more to think about? Going to have a play about when I get a spare moment tomorrow. The B&Q video was funny

OP
S

Spare Tool

Same as a half bond metro set out but more to think about? Going to have a play about when I get a spare moment tomorrow. The B&Q video was funny
Its only the same as half bond metro set out if its 90 degrees, for 45 I'd be striking a line up centre of wall then drylay a row or two on the floor and measure off it then transfer measures to wall...if it is walls that is?

OP
S

Spacey360

Dont start with tile points on centre line or you'll get different size cuts either side

Theres 2 ways set out herringbone on a 45
First is to draw a line down the centre of a tile at 45 degree's and line that up on your centre line. Cuts will be equal sizes but opposite way around.

Second way to get the cuts the same way so they are like wings ( best way imo) is a bit more complicated to explain easy to show. Set two tiles herringboned and measure the distance between the points of each tiles but parallel. Then quater it and measure that distance off your centre line and thats you new line to start from off the points. If that makes sense

For example I use alot of 3x9 inch parquet tiles so id be starting 26mm off my centre line to get equal cuts on each side going the same way

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Dont start with tile points on centre line or you'll get different size cuts either side

Theres 2 ways set out herringbone on a 45
First is to draw a line down the centre of a tile at 45 degree's and line that up on your centre line. Cuts will be equal sizes but opposite way around.

Second way to get the cuts the same way so they are like wings ( best way imo) is a bit more complicated to explain easy to show. Set two tiles herringboned and measure the distance between the points of each tiles but parallel. Then quater it and measure that distance off your centre line and thats you new line to start from off the points. If that makes sense

For example I use alot of 3x9 inch parquet tiles so id be starting 26mm off my centre line to get equal cuts on each side going the same way
Measure room in mm at precisely 23 centigrade, take latitude and longitude readings and times by length and breadth of room mm and divide by 23, find square root then calculate the curvature of the earth and take note of time add 4 then divide by 2, this will give you starting point!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You could always frame the wall or floor makes life easier for the cuts....
This is one I did last year..

Screenshot_20170830-055605.png

OP
D

Dumbo

Just do what I do when setting out and guess . It always works
Measure room in mm at precisely 23 centigrade, take latitude and longitude readings and times by length and breadth of room mm and divide by 23, find square root then calculate the curvature of the earth and take note of time add 4 then divide by 2, this will give you starting point!
Did you ever work for a technical dept of an https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ company because those are the questions they asked me when I said their https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ had failed.

OP
J

Jimbobble

You could always frame the wall or floor makes life easier for the cuts....
This is one I did last year..

View attachment 93052

Very nice.
It's a dog tooth finish on the top they're after.
I still cannot see the logic in starting in the middle & hoping for the best. Goes against everything I was taught in setting out properly. Surely there's a better way than starting in the mid point & hoping to avoid little pieces?
I'll keep the border technique in mind for future jobs, looks really smart that. Nice choice of tiles too :)

OP
S

Spare Tool

Very nice.
It's a dog tooth finish on the top they're after.
I still cannot see the logic in starting in the middle & hoping for the best. Goes against everything I was taught in setting out properly. Surely there's a better way than starting in the mid point & hoping to avoid little pieces?
I'll keep the border technique in mind for future jobs, looks really smart that. Nice choice of tiles too :)
Dry lay and a tape measure or staff Jim...not hope for the best ;)

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Ping chalk lines diagonal corner to corner, check for square, then staff out is what I'd be doing, simple and easy!

Reply to Setting out Herringbone pattern in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock