Discuss Setting out conundrum in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
So I have a bathroom to do in 100 x 200 metros. Lucky me. Taps are on long side of bath next to wall. Taps are and bath are centred to wall. I generally like to use the taps as the centre. Tiles are to be fitted brick bond. Using the taps as centre means that I end up with a 25mm cut in reach corner - once tile on adjacent wall is scribed up to it cut will be even less

What to do? Lose centre behind taps of have tiny cut in corner.
[automerge]1568550748[/automerge]
So I have a bathroom to do in 100 x 200 metros. Lucky me. Taps are on long side of bath next to wall. Taps are and bath are centred to wall. I generally like to use the taps as the centre. Tiles are to be fitted brick bond. Using the taps as centre means that I end up with a 25mm cut in reach corner - once tile on adjacent wall is scribed up to it cut will be even less

What to do? Lose centre behind taps of have tiny cut in corner.

3mm spacers made no difference. I suppose I could use the shower end of bath, which you see first when entering bathroom as the focal centre point and work from there and not have taps centred

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

personally I think it’s way to busy and centring out from taps isn’t noticeable.
What is tho, is around windows, niches and transitions from one surface to another.
I think with metros that’s far more important.
Get those right, the rest falls in to place.
You can look at 1/3 - 2/3rd set out, but that still offsets your taps.
If the taps were wall mounted, it may be a bit more of a consideration.
There’s ALWAYS a compromise with any set out, if the taps are the only one, then you’ve scored, with metros anyway.
Just my opinion tho.
Ask the man himself what he thinks. @Andy Allen

Reaction score
Sometimes works out better to centre the bond.. bit hard to explain but if you have your mid point. Place a mark half a bond (5cm) each side, different colours for each course helps.. then set out from that. If you have a small cut on the left then a larger on the right for example then on the next course you will have a equal sized small cut on the right and equal sized cut on the left. Hope that makes sense will try to upload a picture.
[automerge]1568558569[/automerge]
If you look at the wall on the left hand side of this shower area for example, no grout joints fall on the centre. Hope that makes it clearer
20181017_193804.jpg

Last edited:
H

hmtiling

Sometimes works out better to centre the bond.. bit hard to explain but if you have your mid point. Place a mark half a bond (5cm) each side, different colours for each course helps.. then set out from that. If you have a small cut on the left then a larger on the right for example then on the next course you will have a equal sized small cut on the right and equal sized cut on the left. Hope that makes sense will try to upload a picture.
[automerge]1568558569[/automerge]
If you look at the wall on the left hand side of this shower area for example, no grout joints fall on the centre. Hope that makes it clearer View attachment 109723
What he said. Start with a 1/4 tile on the centre line

Reply to Setting out conundrum in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks