Discuss Setting out brick bond - narrow window pier causing problems in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

ljmountain

I am brick bonding 250mm (length) x 200mm (height) ceramic tiles. I am trying to figure out how to layout the wall shown in pic below, the larger wall which is where the bath is located (to the left of the pic) has a near perfect pattern (i.e ending in either a full tile or half tile).
Bathroom Pic.jpg

If I centre the layout then the 120mm pier to the right of the window will have no cuts and I am concerned this will look like I have given up on the brick pattern. If I wrap the pattern around then I will be playing around with cuts of 80mm and 40mm (within the 120mm pier).

I am leaning towards wrapping the pattern, what do you guys think? Are cuts of 40mm acceptable I see posts on the forum mentioning avoiding slithers and narrow cuts but am not sure what size is counted as a slither\narrow cut.

Thanks in advanced from a DIYer who has been setting out tiles all day (I just want to get the adhesive mixed!!!)

W

White Room

Remember with a brick bond your working from only half a tile with your cuts, if you see what I mean..

L

ljmountain

I have taken a picture of the tiles butted together, I am not sure if you class this as a chamfer. If I had butted up the travertine floor tiles that I laid last year then you would hardly have seen the gaps between the tiles.
tileLayout.jpg

L

ljmountain

Whitebeam - Not 100% sure what you mean but I am being strict about making sure the cuts do not break the rule of the pattern.

B

Bolter

I would make the bricks turn the corners as best you can. Making the bricks turn the corner is the best effect for brickbond imo.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Bolter for me, but sometimes if you centre a wall it may give you good cuts on one course, but with brickbond it may give you small cuts on the next course. In this case I tend to centre the wall, and then centre the tile over the centre line, this can give you better sized cuts.

Still equal cuts, but on alternate courses. Hope this makes sense.:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

I am brick bonding 250mm (length) x 200mm (height) ceramic tiles. I am trying to figure out how to layout the wall shown in pic below, the larger wall which is where the bath is located (to the left of the pic) has a near perfect pattern (i.e ending in either a full tile or half tile).
View attachment 30806

If I centre the layout then the 120mm pier to the right of the window will have no cuts and I am concerned this will look like I have given up on the brick pattern. If I wrap the pattern around then I will be playing around with cuts of 80mm and 40mm (within the 120mm pier).

I am leaning towards wrapping the pattern, what do you guys think? Are cuts of 40mm acceptable I see posts on the forum mentioning avoiding slithers and narrow cuts but am not sure what size is counted as a slither\narrow cut.

Thanks in advanced from a DIYer who has been setting out tiles all day (I just want to get the adhesive mixed!!!)
It is never a good idea to have a full tile into a corner unless you are absolutely sure that your walls are "spot-on" plumb and square as you can end up with an alarming gap appearing as you move up the wall that you may find difficult to fill!! If you are ending up with a full and half tile cut into the corner on alternating rows then I would be inclined to shift your datum over a quarter tile so you are cutting every row into the corner.

C

Colour Republic

I have taken a picture of the tiles butted together, I am not sure if you class this as a chamfer. If I had butted up the travertine floor tiles that I laid last year then you would hardly have seen the gaps between the tiles.
View attachment 30807

No they are not chamfered, what I had in mind would only work with chamfered tiles

Reply to Setting out brick bond - narrow window pier causing problems in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks