Discuss Setting out bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Russ

Hi,

I'm struggling to decide between these floor layouts. I've gone for staggered patterns so I can avoid intersecting with the grout lines on the walls.

Half Offset.PNG
Qtr Offset.PNG
Third Offset.PNG

The floor tiles are 900mm x 450mm with 3mm grout line. The floor is 2460 wide by 2270mm long , the bath is 800mm wide by 1800mm long.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

The overall room is 2460mm wide by 2500mm long, and the wall tiles are 900mm x 316mm centred on the wall by height and width with 2mm grout line. This leaves a 90mm cut at each wall and a 30mm cut at the floor and ceiling. The horizontals of the window sill, shelf top, bath and shower controls were fairly awkward but I think I've come up with a reasonable compromise.

Russ.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I would just go with a random bond, so no specific set out.

What I would also do if possible is on the window wall, raise the stud work so the 'shelf' you have created runs straight through into the window reveal, it will look seamless, compared to having 2 horizontal surfaces so close to each other

IMG_3696.jpg

R

Russ

Hmm, I know what you mean about the window ledge. Without the grout lines I prefer the split level option but I must admit it would make the setting out easier if the shelf/window ledge was the same height.
low shelf.PNG
high shelf.PNG

Or I could adjust my setting out so the horizontals catch the bottom of the window like this:
low shelf 2.PNG

I've already boxed in round the toilet frame but I could extend the height if it makes the job better.

Oh, and I think I'll go with option 1 for the floor layout.

O

Old Mod

I think I’d consider following the bond of the window wall tile through tj the door.
They will naturally miss bond with the left wall anyway, it doesn’t matter on the bath wall because you won’t see the the transition.
And the door wall tiles can easily be aligned with the floor so that it mirrors the window wall.
That way the only mismatched wall to floor transition is on your left wall.

I’m not sure I completely understand your wall description tho, you said it leaves a 90mm cut at corners and 30mm top and bottom, do you mean a cut off of 90 & 30mm respectively?

Reply to Setting out bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks