Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Setting out advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there,

Im a DIY tiler and am about to half height tile my downstairs toilet with 600x300 tiles. I understand the advice on always ensuring the top and bottom row of the tiles should avoid thin slithers. If I measure out to get a good size at both floor and the top row (half way up wall), that gives me both 17cm high for those rows. Unfortunately if I follow this round to the back wall where the WC is and window, that would leave me a slither of 10cm high tile around a bench that is under the window (above a concealed toilet). Ideally id like to turn the top row into nearly a full tile would be 27cm high, so that this whole section is filled out with one tile rather than an 17cm tile + a 10cm tile. It would only work out to be 4 tiles (one on either side and two on the back walls) but I feel it would be an eyesore. Of course the downside to this means that my bottom row at the floor would only be 7cm high. Basically I can't avoid a slither, it either has to be these 4 tiles above the toilet (below the window), where I feel the eye-line may be, or at the floor level which of course would be all the way round the room.

Hope someone understands and can offer advice!

Thanks.

Reaction score
10 cm isn't really a sliver tbh. From the sounds of it I'd probably go with the 7cm sliver at floor level for the same reason as you've given.

OP
T
Reaction score
10 cm isn't really a sliver tbh. From the sounds of it I'd probably go with the 7cm sliver at floor level for the same reason as you've given.

Thanks Steve, I’m hoping the bit at the bottom won’t be as noticeable since I’m also doing the floor in the same tile. So hard to know until it’s down!

Reply to Setting out advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock