Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss setting out adjoining room and general help! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys great forum.

I got a few questions for you experts, I'm have never tiled but want to tackle this as my first project into a career tile and paying 2k for a course.

I am going to tile my kitchen and adjoining room (l-shape with doorway between), kitchen is 7ft by 4ft tile area and other room is 12ft by 12ft. when standing in the hallway you can see through kitchen into adjoing room. my question is,

1. Do I ping a center line right through into next room or have one full tile in center and tile eitherside? (forgot to mention there is a step beteween rooms.

2. tiles are 400 square, what size spreader should I use 10-12mm nothched or u shape?

3. another big question do you keep the tiles square to kitchen units or square too room? as this will affect the adjoinging room?

4. gonna buy a plasplug tile cutter as recomended on this forum, but which one teh 150 0r 180? also how do i tell if it has a loose spindale?

Soz for all the questions guys but im really keen to have a go at this myself and maybe move onto a career in tile if I still got any hair left after !! lol

Thanks

Rob

OP
M

medlar

i would centre ya kitchen floor keeping square with the units,then ping a centre line from the other room so it crosses ya centre line of the kitchen,then try staffing the floor out starting on full tile,if that dont work from a half tile centre,hopefully this will either give you a full tile in your doorway or 2 equal cuts in the doorway.Hope i have explained it so you understand mate

Jimmy

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Good luck with the tile course! I hope you are doing the course BEFORE you tackle the project so that you can take away all the tips and tricks they will impart on you.

OP
L

Leatherface

Hi pal
not sure how you set out ?

In theory ( and practice as i have done )

If you have five or more adjoining rooms off the main focal point room, it is possible to determine EXACTLY where every cut will fall at any point in any given room :

You will need :

Set of of straight edges
Rubi square
Chalk line
pencil
tape measure
staff marked with tile size and spacers

1. Work out centre point and best line for main focal point room
2. From this room square off into every adjoining room using a combination of strait edges, rubi square and chalk line, till you have a set of right angles and lines into every room.
3. use your staff marked with tile size to transfer position of tiles in each room at every relevant point according to ideal tile position ( determined by focal point room )
4. Adjust accordingly to reduce sliver cuts in adjoining rooms.
5. Decide best fit overall

Hope this makes sense.

Also, if this is a large area with a few rooms, you may have a little room for play using movement joints in doorways or between rooms for a little lateral adjustment.

Nevertheless, you should still be able to tell which cuts fall where in every room prior to start.
No need for guess work if you set out properly

Reply to setting out adjoining room and general help! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock