Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Setting out above bathtub. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everyone, apologies if this has already been covered before. I'm going to start doing my cousins bathroom at the weekend, (I'm not a professional but I'd like to be in the future, I just enjoy tile) got everything covered so far so just thinking about setting out. What are the general rules of setting out on the wall above the bathtub, cut tiles at the tub or the ceiling or an average of both, or always aim for a full tile off the tub? There is a window on a joining wall so obviously that will come into play as to how I set it out. Any advice would, as always be greatly appreciated.

S

Spare Tool

Whole room comes into play, horizontal and vertical..the bath, shower tray, window cill and head, door, ceiling, floor, tile size, spacings... Try and get biggest balanced cuts everywhere, wrap the corners best as the room will allow and don't stick the first tile on tile you know where last will land..
:thumbsup:

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Take all your problems (heights) over to one wall and mark them on it, Top of door, top/bottom window, bath, any boxing in etc and then work out your best lay out by adjusting what will give you the best cuts into them all. bigger the better. full tile off the bath won't always work and the bath may also not be level. Remember to space the tiles off the bath with a spacer on its side to leave a gap for a silicone/expansion gap :thumbsup:

If you have a laser you can use that to put a datum up and mark all the heights on a stick using the datum line as your centre point on the stick so it will be the same on all the walls. or you can walk it round with your level which is usually what i tend to do as i'm lazy

OP
M

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Great help guys, especially marking all the problems on one wall. Would it look odd if it was say, half 3 quarter tile off the bath and 3 quarter tile at the ceiling that would be balanced?!? Also could I tile off of bath if the cuts work or should I go off a batten? (Provided the bath is level obviously)

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've went off bath tubs plenty times. Even slightly out of level ones that i have tweaked with wedges which is usually the case when i do it.

What size are the tiles? If they are small and it's one of your first jobs you may have issues when it comes to keeping the level and tile down off the height of the bath tub, batons could be easier but if it was small tiles could also be tricky to get the height right to meet at the tub unless you do a row at a time coming down. I see metros in my nightmares so i always assume the worst, If it's bigger tiles then your jammin :D

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
:handpointup: yep!

And also dont assume the ceiling/floor will be the same level all the way round from the wall you take your heights to. Especially with smaller tiles

Last edited:
OP
M

M83T

TF
Reaction score
The tiles are 600x300 so not too bad, so to avoid having a small sliver at say the window cill i can shift the height of the tiles and if it falls that it's a cut tile at the bath it's not going to look odd? I think that's my main concern.
[automerge]1562879962[/automerge]
Oh yeah and as always thankyou for the advice from everyone this forum really is so valuable to somebody who is just starting out and isn't so sure of things yet.

B

bureaucrazy1

I was about to start a thread with the same question. I also have 600X300s. The room is 2.45m high so I guess I will start with a just over half tile at the floor and at the ceiling and then see what cuts are over the bath and around the window and move my start point up or down to try to avoid small bits anywhere.

The room is 2.39m wide so should I go with whole tiles width wise and just trim a sliver off the end ones to adjust if the wall is not plumb and overlap the corner with the tiles on the joining wall? There might be a cm or so gap at the end which meets with the non tiled wall so I could just leave that narrow bit as a gap?

The other option is to go with a half tile at each end like with the floor and ceiling? Is that better?

Reaction score
I was about to start a thread with the same question. I also have 600X300s. The room is 2.45m high so I guess I will start with a just over half tile at the floor and at the ceiling and then see what cuts are over the bath and around the window and move my start point up or down to try to avoid small bits anywhere.

The room is 2.39m wide so should I go with whole tiles width wise and just trim a sliver off the end ones to adjust if the wall is not plumb and overlap the corner with the tiles on the joining wall? There might be a cm or so gap at the end which meets with the non tiled wall so I could just leave that narrow bit as a gap?

The other option is to go with a half tile at each end like with the floor and ceiling? Is that better?

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The tiles are 600x300 so not too bad, so to avoid having a small sliver at say the window cill i can shift the height of the tiles and if it falls that it's a cut tile at the bath it's not going to look odd? I think that's my main concern.
[automerge]1562879962[/automerge]
Oh yeah and as always thankyou for the advice from everyone this forum really is so valuable to somebody who is just starting out and isn't so sure of things yet.

No it won't look odd unless it's a terribly small cut

Best not to start with a full tile and leave what will end up a pretty small cut. Draw a vertical centre line on the wall with your level/laser and then match that with the centre of your tile and work out each way from that and you will have equal cuts and it will be easy enough to deal with out of plumb walls with the chunkier cutts.

OP
M

M83T

TF
Reaction score
I had a quick look at the job on Friday evening and it seems as though if I were to go full tile off of the bath it would leave me half a tile at the top. Would this be ok or is it better to have equal cuts at the bath and ceiling? I'm starting tomorrow so will spend a good while setting out but I just can't get my head around what will look best regarding balancing out the cuts above the bath? Sorry if I'm missing something.

Reply to Setting out above bathtub. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock