Discuss Set out in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Cabnero

Been setting out my mum's bathroom and having a bit of a mare with the focal point which is the window. If I centre the window no matter of I start with a full tile or half tile (or even a quarter tile) im left with a small cut somewhere. The best compromise is a small cut sound the window but at least the tiles are balanced. Would you guys center the wall if the window doesn't work leaving bigger cuts but not balanced. This is driving me nuts!!

O

Old Mod

It's difficult for anyone to comment without either picture, diagrams and measurements.
But a compromise somewhere in the room is quite normal.
And yes, can be mind bendingly irritating.

C

Cabnero

Thanks 3 fall. I'll try to put some measurements up later. Can't remember them off the top of my head

S

SJPurdy

If you have small cuts running up the sides of a window (or similar feature) then the cuts around the corner can be very difficult and liable to breaking (even after fixing) so it is best to avoid such a set out. Pictures/dimensions needed to give an informed opinion as to any actual setout.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've never been that hung up about centering the tiles round a window, most windows aren't center to the wall anyway. Just try to avoid slithers at all costs.

J

J Sid

centering the wall is fine imho, choose a grout colour to closely match the tile means the eye will not be drawn to small cuts if you have to have one

C

Cabnero

Thankso so much guys. Had another look and set out to the centre of the wall which looks far better. Just got a bit hung up with centering the window as this is how I was shown. Another problem has arisen thigh in that there is a difference in the floor height buy around 10 mm. To make this worse the shower tray is in but not quite level. It is out one way woke the floor is it another way. I still have to lay hardie so my question is do I pay this as normal to follow the floor thenot tile from the highest point keeping the four tiles flat AND level. One final thing,when I finish I will put pictures up etc and tell you about the the"builder"/"plumber". I'm sure it's nothing you have never heard but I cat believe what he thinks is acceptable re bathroom fitting, prep and tiles.

W

WetSaw

I still have to lay hardie so my question is do I pay this as normal to follow the floor thenot tile from the highest point keeping the four tiles flat AND level.

If you could try Google translate again as it seems to be struggling, that makes no sense to me at all!!:D

C

Cabnero

Oh s#$t sorry. Typing and driving is never good!! The problem that has arisen is the floor is about 10mm higher in the back left of the room than front right. To make things worse the shower tray has been put in slightly out of level. I still have to lay hardi on to the ply so do I lay it as normal following the floor then start tiling at the highest point keeping the tiles flat AND level or just follow the floor with the tiles. If I need to keep them all level how thick can i go with the adhesive. I've now stopped driving so hopefully this makes sense

W

WetSaw

Ideally you want the floor flat and level before tiling. You could use SLC over the Hardie, or if it's flat but not level and you can live with it just crack on tiling.

C

Cabnero

Thanks pdc. There's not time unfortunately to slc. I'll have to crack on. As I said in a previous thread I'll let you know the views of this guy. Unreal.

W

WetSaw

How big is the room? It'll probably only take a couple of hours to lay the SLC and it to be ready to tile.

C

Cabnero

Yeah I hear you. It's only a small room 1.9 x1.7 minus the tray but I've never used slc before and don't have a spiked roller. How long will it be before you can tile on it. Are there any particular pointers? If I caneed do this and finish it for Monday,perfect.

W

WetSaw

It's such a small area and if the maximum depth is 10mm I wouldn't be bothered about a spiked roller. Any SLC would go off overnight so if you can get it down tomorrow, tile Friday, grout Saturday, beer Sunday!! Just mix the SLC with the max amount of water as stated on the packet.

Reply to Set out in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks