Discuss Serpentine floor tile spalling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 52962

Hello, hopefully someone can help me. I purchased Vermont Verde Green Marble floor tiles. It came with no instructions so it was installed like a marble with a 1/4" backerboard, redguard and then a modified thin-set, then grouted and sealed with Aquamix sealers choice gold.
Soon after I thought it looked a little bowed in some areas. Several days later I noticed some areas were rough with a metallic pitted sparkle to it. I kinda knew right then and there that this was not a marble. I found the company's website, turns out it is Vermont Verde Antique, a serpentine tile. I also realized the metallic rough areas were what I believe to be "spalling", a result of improper installation. The slight bowed effect oddly enough is gone, tiles are flat, but the roughness remains in spots.
I don't know what to do, visually it is still a nice looking floor, can it be left alone with the spalling? or will it get worse in time? It's very slight only at the surface, pits are small, not deep.

D

Deleted member 52962

Thank you for the link. I read the whole thing and it was encouraging. The Asbestos part was a bit scary though.
I went up to the tiles with a magnifying glass and flashlight. The metallic flecks are only in the areas of the white webbing/veining, and the flecks are very small, like pin head small, and numourous, as if it was sprinkled it with glitter. These are the only areas affected and the only areas that feel like sandpaper. The dark areas are smooth where there is no webbing.
I have a few unused pieces, they feel totally smooth and polished throughout, with less webbing but I can see the metallics under the surface, just not as numorous . Something happened during installation to bring these "metallic scales" to the surface, I assume the wet app?
As long as it stays like this and doesn't errode then I will be a happy camper, but I am very worried it can become a problem down the road.
I took pictures, sadly it does not show much of a texture in photos, but you can see some glistening where the metallic flecks are. (please excuse the canister light reflection)

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

O

Old Mod

That’s a beautiful floor, hope you can find your answers.
I’ll keep digging, I know a person or two who might be able to shed more light on the subject.

D

Deleted member 52962

That’s a beautiful floor, hope you can find your answers.
I’ll keep digging, I know a person or two who might be able to shed more light on the subject.

Thank you :)
It really does look nice, you can't tell anything is wrong until you feel the white webbed areas.
Hopefully I can get a hold of the quarry on Monday and see if they have any answers.

D

Deleted member 52962

This may be a long shot, but is it possible it's grout residue that got sealed in when the sealer was applied to the tiles?
The sealer was applied the same day as grouting.

O

Old Mod

Well I can say that the sealant should have been applied when the floor was completely clean and dry.
But not personally knowing neither the stone or sealer, I couldn’t say for sure tbh.
I can get someone to look over your post tomorrow, See if he has any comments to Make.

D

Deleted member 52962

I know he cleaned the floor, I assume he let it dry a bit and then put on the sealer.
I am going to try if I can scrape off a rough area, in an inconspicuous spot and see what the fleck looks like up close.
Thank you so much for your help :)
[automerge]1569783069[/automerge]
Ok, I just rubbed a wood shimmy over a small area over the webbing that had rough spots. I wiped it with a damp cloth and it feels smooth. What ever it was scraped off. The tile looks smooth in that small area, and more polished.
So is this a good sign?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 52962

Just tried a blade, a powder came up, wiped it with a damp paper towel and it was gray, the same color as the grout! and the grout has these little random sparkle flecks in it too, and the tile and blade felt a bit sticky, like residue.
I think you solved it!
So this is good right? It sounds like it's just the grout powder that got sealed over??

O

Old Mod

It sounds like it's just the grout powder that got sealed over??

Yeah sure sounds like it could be, DO NOT use any acid based product, it WILL degrade the stone.
Check the literature again and see what it suggests to clean it.
I would firstly remove any heavy residue with the blade.
If it can be cleaned in the conventional manner of using an alkali, pour neat strong bleach on the blemish and cover with a clear piece of plastic sheet. Leave for 24hrs, it will act as a poultice.
Obviously best case scenario would be to try it on a scrap or inconspicuous area first.
Don’t be impatient, let it do it’s stuff.
Then rinse with fresh water.
This will remove any sealant.
Wait a good 7 days before applying any more sealant.
Then seal periodically when staining becomes ore difficult to remove.
Good luck.

D

Deleted member 52962

Just wanted to give an update.
The next day after we thought we had success the crusting was back.
We finally got in touch with the quarry and they said it was Efflorescense from the water used during the install, and it can be removed with steel wool, and that it will continue to crust until all the moisture is out, and to keep going at it with the steel wool until it stops.
Once it's all out we can polish the area to bring back the shine.
What a pain in the butt, well at least it doesn't sound too bad and the tiles can be saved, if only we knew this from the start. Well live and learn :D

Reply to Serpentine floor tile spalling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks