Discuss Semi Roll Top Bath with shower & screen - Tiling to the bath? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, we have a half roll top bath (so is a straight edge and connected to the wall on two sides, but doesn't have a panel).

Picture below:

Our tiler and our plumber are saying two different things and I don't know what is best.

Our plumber is saying he isn't happy with the walls being tiled floor to ceiling first and then the bath being fitted up to it, as he doesn't feel just a silicone seal would be enough. He is suggesting the bath be fitted and the tiler tile to the bath and then underneath on the bits he can do. I personally think this is impossible to tile under the bath once in?

The tiler is saying that you tile the whole wall and then fit the bath.

To add to the complication, we would like a herringbone tile pattern!

Please could I have any advice? I'm torn between the two at the moment

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
How about getting the bath levelled in position and mark around the edges against the walls. Then remove the bath and fit a batten to match the marked edges then just tile to suit

S

Spare Tool

Can see why they're both saying different, but have to agree with the plumber (for once) Think it'd be better to get bath in and mark position on wall, remove bath and tile wall but don't fix the tiles around bath marks, fit bath then put the tile cuts in..
Wall needs waterproofing before tiling if it's a shower, tanking tape could also be run onto lip of bath before the final tile cuts go in onto the bath..

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Only problem I see is with the upstand on the bath, if it’s not stuck to the finished tiles that lip will need to be recessed into the wall otherwise the tiles will want to kick at the bottom.
But then I’m not sure I would be happy sticking bath to tiles.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. What do you think to tiling up to the level of the bath, then putting the bath in, then tiling above? Would that work? I’ve suggested the marking out idea and putting a wooden batten there, but wondered if that would be an option?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think I would tile the walls first, then stick the bath to the tiles with something like CT1 or Sticks Like S**t.
You should be able to get some batten fixed to the wall to support the fixed side and end of the bath and get a couple of discreet l shaped brackets under there too to help stop it pulling away from the wall.

There doesn’t seem to be much of a rim and if it gets recessed in enough to stop the tiles kicking out there might not be enough room for taps, especially if they are old fashioned type.

B

Bill

Did the bath not come with fixing brackets? If they did then mar the position on the wall and don't tile over the mark..... then do as above and tile the wall (less the space for the bath rim - about 50mm normally) the fit bath to wall with a good fixing glue like ct1 then screw the brackets to make sure the bath has a secondary fixing. Tile over the brackets and then silicone a finish between bath and tiles....

Simples.

H

hmtiling

I've done a room with exact same bath. Bath was offered up and marked. I left out 2 courses that hit the bath and tanked, tiles and grouted rest. Plumber did his bit then I finished mine. Be a touch more awkward with herringbone but same principle

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hmtiling

Can see why they're both saying different, but have to agree with the plumber (for once) Think it'd be better to get bath in and mark position on wall, remove bath and tile wall but don't fix the tiles around bath marks, fit bath then put the tile cuts in..
Wall needs waterproofing before tiling if it's a shower, tanking tape could also be run onto lip of bath before the final tile cuts go in onto the bath..
Should have read this first Andy. As above

D

Dumbo

I done one of these. Tiled the first then the plumber fitted the bath . As per manufacturers instructions , if stuck to the wall well and siliconed well I doubt it will move or leak , but yes I do think it is a bad design and if I was buying similar I would try and get one without a l ip .

count

-
Reaction score
am planning on fitting one of these baths soon and was wondering about fitting properly. after some searching found actual fitting instructions for these type of baths. i will leave the pdf here for others to find.

Attachments

• roll top bath tiling instructions.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 65

Reply to Semi Roll Top Bath with shower & screen - Tiling to the bath? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks