Discuss Self Level compound or board first? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Pritch

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone .
I have a question to ask about my bathroom.
I'm about to install electric under floor heating in my bathroom and lay new tiles .
I've lifted the old tiles that were laid directly on top of the chip board flooring but the old adhesive is extremely difficult to get off.
Is it ok to install/ screw the 6 mm insulation board over the top of the old adhesive then use self level compound or should I self level, lay insulation board and self level again?
Thanks

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You could skim over the existing adhesive , with a flexiable fast set adhesive and set your boards into that, or , as you say fibre reinforced slc first , when dry ,set your boards in tile adhesive, screw and scrim, fit ufh and latex over. Ready to tile.

B

Blunt Tool

As above if you have the depth if not diamond disc grinder with hood attachment and dust extraction will get rid of old adhesive in no time. You can hire them.

Reply to Self Level compound or board first? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks