Discuss sealing tiles in our bathroom in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Whippywhappy

D0DC08B5-C01F-4689-A21F-BABCEC45921A.jpeg Hi
Could anyone recommend the best sealant to seal these tiles please?
We’ve finally got our shower up and running but water is getting through some of the grout joints on our tiles, so I’m hoping i can give them a seal?
Any advice or suggestions I would be greatly thankful for
Cheers

J

J Sid

can you confirm.....you have put them in a wet area of a shower? And a professional Tiler did it?

W

WetSaw

Whoever thought split face in a shower were a good idea wants their bumps feeling.
Firstly they are not normally grouted.
Secondly you have little or no chance of keeping them clean.

Was the wall tanked before tiling?

T

Time's Ran Out

I think these are porcelain tiles that look like split faced slate. They will still have an interlocking joint every 4-5 rows which should be grouted or filled with clear silicone.
But I may be wrong!
Looking closer I’am wrong and it’s a nightmare to sort now.
Painstaking to go through every joint with your finger and grout is the only way or leave plenty of build up on the tile face like you have now.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
These are not suitable for wet areas.

W

Whippywhappy

Hi
Yes these were put up by a bathroom fitter. No the room was not tanked. Our shower is above our bath.
So would I need to literally clear silicone every single line between the tiles? Or am I just never going to get this to look good and work?
Thanks for your replies

J

J Sid

as above....
your bathroom fitter should have know these are not suitable for a shower area

F

Flintstone

I have to agree with the others it's a bit of a loosing battle really to try and make this work when ultimately the tiles aren't suitable

O

One Day

Oops! You should remove them asap. Make good any damage and waterproof the area before tiling again with something suitable.
Not what you want to hear, but if you continue to get them wet, you will 100% ruin the background.

W

Whippywhappy

Oh my days!
Guess the shower is going to become a dust collector until we can save some money.

W

Waluigi

I’m curious, did nobody think that this might be a bad idea? Not you as the homeowner or more importantly the fitter?

He should’ve advised really. Not tanking the wall either. Absolute disaster install.

W

WetSaw

The sad thing is that the fitter should have told you they're completely unsuitable. There are porcelain tiles that have a similar effect that would have been OK .

W

Whippywhappy

The woman I live with had them done before I moved in.
The installer has done a right shambles of a job and this is just another example of his poor workmanship.
We’re not going to use the shower and look at getting it all done properly.
Do you have a rough idea the costs involved in replacing say 6m2 of tiles please?
Am I best off getting the installer to supply and fit or should I get the gear and pay for installation only?
Cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

Unfortunately prices are not discussed in open forum but you could enquire with a Tiler from here in your area. I’am sure you will receive an approximate cost that way.

Reply to sealing tiles in our bathroom in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks