Discuss sealing around shower tray - best method or practice? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

what

I intend to tank plasterboard with mapei mapgum (or similar) and tape the joints as shown in this video below. It also shows the tape being bonded to the tray surface then tiled afterwards. Taking into account the thickness of tile and adhesive (which should obscure the joint) there would be about a loss of about 1cm in the width and also depth of the tray, I'm doubtful if the enclosure would still fit okay as the tray size would be reduced somewhat.
Normally I would expect the wall to be tanked and tiled and then the tray and enclosure fitted and then sealed against the tiles.
I'm aware there is an issue at the interface between the silicon bead
and grout, the grout being semi water permeable despite being described as waterproof, but I'm uncertain how important that is in my situation given that the plasterboard surface underneath will been tanked.

F

Flintstone

The tray always goes in first, then tiled. The door should fit fine as that's the right way of doing it.
With regards to tanking. Do it as per the video. Or tank the wall all the way to the floor, then fit the tray and silicone it, then tile

Reply to sealing around shower tray - best method or practice? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks