Discuss Sealing around a shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Blunt Tool

Job coming up soon 3 en suites and 1 main bathroom, some guys on here recommending classi seal ( looks like a modern version of bitumen strip) for shower trays. Will be a Wedi board installation on walls with tanking kit, so could take tanking kit onto tray (tapes and rubber solution) then over lap tile adhesive and tile then finish with silicone or do the wall preps then install classi seal. Which way do you think is best?

Q

Qwerty

I have to admit that I have never used classi seal so can't really comment. I would always use your first suggested method

B

Blunt Tool

I have to admit that I have never used classi seal so can't really comment. I would always use your first suggested method
Yes hated the old bitumen strip, tar went everywhere, this new one seems to be getting a good review and would keep tray sealed if tray dropped a little, belts and braces and all that!

L

LM

I have all my builders using them on large scale housing sites and to date have never had a failure, all fast track building so plenty of shrinkage to be catered for.
I have the walls prepped and primed, first coat of tanking paste then shower tray or bath with classi seal pressed firmly against them making sure that the classi seal hasn't been 'stretched' around the corner so as it can be siliconed to the wall. I then over lap the classi seal joint with the wall with tanking tape and then apply the vertical tape strips in the corners and coat again with paste as required. Touch wood as of yet no failures when done as above and that's anywhere between at least 100-200 rooms per year for the last 13/14 years.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I don't like it. It's a bit thick. Does a job, but if the tray is fitted properly, tanked and sealed. You don't have a problem.

B

Blunt Tool

I have all my builders using them on large scale housing sites and to date have never had a failure, all fast track building so plenty of shrinkage to be catered for.
I have the walls prepped and primed, first coat of tanking paste then shower tray or bath with classi seal pressed firmly against them making sure that the classi seal hasn't been 'stretched' around the corner so as it can be siliconed to the wall. I then over lap the classi seal joint with the wall with tanking tape and then apply the vertical tape strips in the corners and coat again with paste as required. Touch wood as of yet no failures when done as above and that's anywhere between at least 100-200 rooms per year for the last 13/14 years.
Sounds good and I do have access to trays before installation. Is there no one came out with a tray with brackets to screw into wall posts and floor aswell as setting so that they don't move!

L

LM

I don't like it. It's a bit thick. Does a job, but if the tray is fitted properly, tanked and sealed. You don't have a problem.
I have to have an 'idiot' proof system due to so many different tilers etc involved, so it works for me in what I do.

F

Flintstone

If you are using wedi on the walls, and installing properly - sealing all the joints, then You don't need to tank let alone use a classi seal!

B

Blunt Tool

Put your foot down mate, do it right
Got enough tanking kit supplied by customer under architects instructions to tank the whole 32square metre main bathroom, and enough to do job at least twice over! Don't know how thick he thinks Im going to put it on? Trowel?

Reply to Sealing around a shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks