Discuss Screed on celotex??? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Had a builder put a floating floor down and I refused to tile on it and said that I wanted it screeded. The builder rang the plasterer to do the screed and he said can you leave the celotex insulation down and I will screed over that. I'm not happy that this is going to be a secure surface either as the celotex isn't fixed to the substrate. The plasterer said that he's done it loads of times and it will be fine. It sounds to me that he's trying to make it easier for himself by not laying as much screed but I don't know enough about screeding to be sure. Has anyone else heard of this method before? The room is 9m2 and it will be a sand/cement screed. Cheers Ross :thumbsup:

Last edited:
S

Scott

I thought all new build was the same process?

Sub base, DMP then 100mm insulation and then screed. Ss long as the screed is thick enough then the weight should hld it down. Im prepared to be wrong though as construction isnt my bag at all.

F

FlexiDry

Yes laying the screed direct onto insulation is standard practise for a floating floor.

A standard sand/cement screed would need to be laid at a minimum depth of 65mm for a domestic property. If modified screed is used you can get down to 55mm.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes laying the screed direct onto insulation is standard practise for a floating floor.

A standard sand/cement screed would need to be laid at a minimum depth of 65mm for a domestic property. If modified screed is used you can get down to 55mm.

British Standard (8204:1) says minimum 65mm for domestic floating sand:cement screed. The standard does not differentiate between non modified and modified sand cement screeds so that should be treated the same e.g. You would have to use a proprietary material and step outside of the standards to go below this depth. That can clearly be risky.

S

Scott

Interesting about celotex soaking up water as i always see it sored outside on a variety of building sites

A

Andy c

It's standard practice but you should not put screed straight on the normal standard cellotex the shiny foil backed one has cement reacts with the foil and forces it to peel away there is a specific one for putting screed on which has a pink coating ,if using standard cellotex you need a membrane between insulation and screed

Reply to Screed on celotex??? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks