Discuss Sanding and honing travertine in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

Ola. Calling out to any guys that have ever had to profile or sand down a honed and filled travertine tile.

We've had a distress call from a Bathroom Fitter/Tiler. There is one single travertine tile that is lipping by only half a mm. Yes its within tolerance of of BS, but his customer is really grinding his gears over it.

I have suggested that with the right gear he could grind it down, but the concern is whether he can get it to the same finish (or at least acceptable to the customer)

He can get hold of either a wet or dry polisher. He already has a belt sander to do the main bulk. I've never done it before so don't know whether or not this is a good idea. We have a filler for him to fill any holes that get exposed, so just need the best method of adding the finishing touch and what grit will give a uniform honed finish.

Thanks in advance :)

J

J Sid

yes you can, and I have a few times :( . Not hard if you have a variable speed grinder and sanding pads.
@ATSDiamondTools will have all that's needed and advise on process.

O

Old Mod

its not hard to do marc and quicker than removing
No I agree Julian to a point mate.
If you've never done it before, is this the time to learn, with a client snagging a half mil lip?
Not so sure.
Esp if he leaves swirl marks in the floor, easy done.

J

J Sid

No I agree Julian to a point mate.
If you've never done it before, is this the time to learn, with a client snagging a half mil lip?
Not so sure.
Esp if he leaves swirl marks in the floor, easy done.
know what your saying, but if there is the option to take one up what not have a play first.
he could always take an off cut home and hard a practice. It is one of the easiest stones to cut back

F

Flintstone

Take it out man and make sure the end result is 100 percent. No chance of an issue

O

Old Mod

know what your saying, but if there is the option to take one up what not have a play first.
he could always take an off cut home and hard a practice. It is one of the easiest stones to cut back
Yeah course, if time isn't an issue, perfect idea.
Only trouble is with playing in situ is that as he's taking down an edge it's very likely he'll hit at least one other tile.
Just the way I see it mate. Not necessarily the right way, but I wouldn't trust it to someone who's never done it before. I'd wanna do it myself.
What would you do Julian? Haha

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would try anything rather than replace a tile.....you always end up damaging the next tile then the next tile......before you know it you've taken half the floor up..

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
would like to see a picture of this "half ml lip" seems a bit harsh to me depending of course on grout gap width.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If they are that fussy with a lip, will a slight tonal/polish difference be acceptable, can be done, again as above working the edges/corners,how leval is the grout to the face of he tile , will this be affected if high, I would practise on a spare tile ,cut into half and polish up! Can you match it,

If you are cutting in to a test stone , I would test your sealer after you have polished out ,as the impregnator can also highlight colours/textures where you have cut.

Replacement could be easier, would you get issues with matching the grout joint?, would it be seamless?

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If they are that fussy with a lip, will a slight tonal/polish difference be acceptable, can be done, again as above working the edges/corners,how leval is the grout to the face of he tile , will this be affected if high, I would practise on a spare tile ,cut into half and polish up! Can you match it,

If you are cutting in to a test stone , I would test your sealer after you have polished out ,as the impregnator can also highlight colours/textures where you have cut.

Replacement could be easier, would you get issues with matching the grout joint?, would it be seamless?
good point made about the grout colour, that's why I would like to see a picture to see if customer is being reasonable. You could lose the lip but have a whole new world of issues with a different grout shade.

J

J Sid

if the customer is not happy the issue need sorting even if it is unreasonable....
customer is always right even when wronge

Reply to Sanding and honing travertine in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks