Discuss ruined slate tilles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

harvey

I have just fitted some slate tiles and foolishly (very, on reflection) grouted them before sealing. The pores of the tiles have soaked up the wide-joint flexible grout and it won't be washed out. Various sources in your trade have suggested nitomors might break the grout down and I've experienced some success with this.
I think the solution might be to duplicate the effect on the tiles when I put a damp sponge over them, doing this seems to hide the damage entirely but reappears as soon as they dry.
Has anyone got any advice on what product to put on top of the tiles to limit the damage? I've got some colour enhancing sealant which will darken them down a little but feel I need something to put on top of this in order to achieve a dark/gloss effect.
Thanks in advance, any advice is greatly apprecited.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You need an impregnating sealer with a gloss finish. (p.s. sorry for delay! - missed your post)

D

Deleted member 15

harvey said:
I have just fitted some slate tiles and foolishly (very, on reflection) grouted them before sealing. The pores of the tiles have soaked up the wide-joint flexible grout and it won't be washed out. Various sources in your trade have suggested nitomors might break the grout down and I've experienced some success with this.
I think the solution might be to duplicate the effect on the tiles when I put a damp sponge over them, doing this seems to hide the damage entirely but reappears as soon as they dry.
Has anyone got any advice on what product to put on top of the tiles to limit the damage? I've got some colour enhancing sealant which will darken them down a little but feel I need something to put on top of this in order to achieve a dark/gloss effect.
Thanks in advance, any advice is greatly apprecited.

Have you tried standard brick acid?

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Lithofin cement away is the best product to remove the stains you have.
Fila from Topps Tiles do a cement removal product as well for slate

Reply to ruined slate tilles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks