Discuss Rubi DC250 1200 in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jelthetiler

So I've had my 1200 for a while now and it's done 5-600 cuts, mainly travertine, 610 x 405 x 11mm. I'm not one to BS people for the sake of it so this hurts me to write this.
I write this up against my old DW250N as I was very happy with this machine, barr the water loss (everywhere)!

I'm gutted with this machine but i'll give my pro's first, they won't take long!

Pro-the surface area is so big it'll handle space wise and cut anything standard (around 1000mm) sized tiles on the market today.

Pro-the base that the tiles sit on (there are 4 pieces, 2 each side) are grooved, light alloy and hold the water 100 times better than the flat base with the holes down the side of the 250N. This allows the water to stay in the machine and be recycled.

Pro-the rail is much smoother than the 250N and the wires above the rail are held in place by a wire guard to keep it's shape.

Cons-unless I have missed a trick the wax wheels that were on the 250N that allowed it to be pulled along at 45 degrees are in a different place on the 1200 (they are at the bottom of the front legs) so you can't pull it and even if they were where they should be, there is no handle at the opposite end to pull it!! This means that the only way to move the machine is by a dead lift and it's bloody heavy. When packed away and put in the van the wheels that are on it (sit in the middle acting like a balance) allowing the machine to move. I have a new shape VW Caddy and it sits in the back by about 6 inches so as long as I pack sheets/cloth between the machine and the door, all is good!

Cons-the rail isn't central to the machine so when you try to pack it away the whole thing gets lop sided and can easily be dropped as has nearly happened to me a few times now.

Cons-after you have marked a tile, put it on the machine and aligned the line with the blade you would expect after turning the machine on to just go ahead and cut? No, the blade upon start up moves around 2mm away from your line up marks. This was particularly annoying at first but something I've got used to, had to really.

Cons-The STOP button is really tough to turn off (the START button is ok), might just be my machine but in an emergency could prove a problem if i have to stop it quick.

Cons-the motor doesn't feel as powerful as it should, feels like it needs more oomph?!!

Cons-the judder upon switch off is very bad. This is my biggest bug bear, so much so that I slow it to a stop with my fingers. I do this as in the first week I had 2 nuts on the machine 'undo' themselves and If i don't, I really feel that this will eventually shake the machine to bits. To try and alleviate the judder I even had my levels out to make sure the machine was sitting right, I even put it on a sheet of ply outside the job to no avail. The blade isn't lose and the motor feels and sounds smooth.

Cons-the outer blade cover feels as week and wobbly as the 250N, I expect to be doing maintenance on that inside 6 months-as I did before.

Cons-I did notice that after only a few weeks that rust is starting to appear on the welds. Now my brother is a welder and I mentioned this to him and he thinks that the primer/undercoats haven't hit them properly or the welds/metal had not been cleaned prior to spraying. I say this because after just a few months my 250N starting shedding paint to the point where when I got rid of it, it had almost none left.

I really am a Rubi bloke, the manual cutters I have are the nuts. It pains me to say that I feel a bit let down by this machine. Maybe I shouldn't moan as I got it from CTD's for a bargain at £838 instead of over a grand elsewhere.

W

White Room

For the money you spent it should give years of use, don't sound like it will...

S

Spud

It's a nice looking machine but your feed back is similar to what I heard from a Romanian tiler I met onsite who had one of these machines , he used his on only 3 bathrooms and was encountering some problems and his machine had started to cut off square

J

Jelthetiler

I wonder whether Rubi read these posts, anyone know? Almost feels like this machine was rushed out and not field tested as there's really too much wrong with it. Half of me wants to contact them to see what they've got to say.

Q

Qwerty

I wonder whether Rubi read these posts, anyone know? Almost feels like this machine was rushed out and not field tested as there's really too much wrong with it. Half of me wants to contact them to see what they've got to say.

Yes, I know of at least two Rubi reps that are regular visitors to the forum. If it was my machine I would have contacted my regional Rubi rep the day I noticed the issues. Go on the Rubi website, or on twitter and find who covers your area and give them a call.. They will arrange to visit you to examine the machine or better still, why not return it and say it's faulty? You have a 12 month warranty

Q

Qwerty

Ok, I wasn't sure if it was Nathan Rees (South West rep) that was still covering your area or not, but it seems that Dan Watts is your rep.
I will get a hold of Nathan and see if he has Dans number. Will PM you when I get it.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jelthetiler

Cheers. Will contact him early Jan, they won't do anything now as the world shuts down for Christmas!!

J

Jelthetiler

The 'faults' are what I've found out over the last couple of months. I'll get in contact but to be honest I don 't hold up much hope.

R

RubiUK

Hi Jelthetiler
Lets see if I can answer some of your Cons. Firstly the wheels are in the position they are is for good old Health and safety. When you lifted the old DW250 with the motor locked in place it was still over the recommended weight issues. the wheels in the middle are there so you can use the pulling handle to get the machine balanced and then simply move it around. I know that does not help when it comes to lifting in and out of the van or on a muddy uneven building site but H&S won that argument.

The running gear is offset so as to give you a better cut when the motor is running. Balance.

Start up movement. All motors sag when not running. As long as it cuts when running at full speed that would be my concern but if you need it looked at we will have a look at that for you.

The stop button. There have been some new amendments to the later cutters but I agree the original switches were awkward. This is why we like feedback as things then get changed and the end user's experience will get better.

Motor. Exactly the same as DW

Machine bounce. That is usually down to the blade being not 100% true and if it doe's not sort it self out as some do we will look at that for you. Some blades do sort themselves after some real hard work but speak to Dan your Rep about that issue.. A simple check is to take the blade of and start and stop the motor and see if there is a difference.

The paint on the welds is something that has cropped up once or twice and I have mentioned it to Spain who say there is no issues with quality control but I have spoken to them on your behalf anyway.

I hope this goes some way to answering some of your issues.

J

Jelthetiler

In reply to RubyUK

I spoke to Dan the rep' today, nice fella, listened to my gripe and gave me options.

On the DW 250N the motor locked down at the wax wheels end so there was never an issue of transporting it anywhere, weight wise, in fact I took it on a train and the Underground. The handle and wheel issue with the 1200 could be solved as in the DW. As the saying goes, if it 'aint broke, don't try and fix it.

The running gear, in my opinion, being offset puts the machine OUT OF BALANCE, hence the major shaking a few seconds after the stop switch is hit. There was, again in my opinion, no need to move the running gear off centre, it worked perfectly on the DW, no vibration or blade movement.

It isn't a power issue, as you say that motor is the same on both although i am a tad confused why a slightly more powerful motor wasn't fitted to a machine nearly a third bigger, one third more expensive and expected to cut bigger/longer.

There is obviously a quality control issue in Spain as my last machine completely stripped itself of paint (I actually gave it away to a fella on here), way inside the 2 year warranty and my 4 month old (Aug 14, 2014) already has rust issues. As I said, my brother, cousin and uncle (RJH Welding/Angell Welding/Alpha Welding) have 110 years experience between them and have all said that the main reason paint moves off a weld contact is that is hasn't been cleaned 'post weld', pre power coat/spray.

All stop/start buttons should be the most important 'buttons' on the machine. The 'later machines' have original switches? I don't understand, I thought i'd bought your newest model?
I changed the blade to another and the heavy vibration still happened so I discounted the 'out of shape blade theory.

I can't believe that this model has been field tested either. It needed 6 months of 'hard work' (your words) in the hands of a working tiler, not someone in a sterile factory doing cuts wearing a white coat. The fundamentals of the DW have been undermined by the need to change a winning design into something that just looks good. I need practical not beauty.

The few issues that the DW had were fixed on the DC but then someone in the infinite wisdom decided to mess with a very good design.

Any how, the guys at CTD have the machine, I believe they are going to get me another. If that fails too then i'll have no choice but to move manufacturer.

I've been loyal to Ruby for a long time now, just need a bit back and this is not the reply I was expecting.

Btw, when I find the email/address of the top person at Rubi, be it here, or Spain i'll mail this to them.

Reply to Rubi DC250 1200 in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks