Discuss Review: Safety Stair Rods in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazzer

In the interest of safety for all our TilersForums members and readers i have recently evaluated an item that i believe should be in every tradespersons tool kit along with the dust sheet.
I am sure that over the time that you have been working in houses and have laid the dust sheet down the stairs, you have found that they can be a hazard. They do have a tendency to trip you up and they can also move on the stairs. It was recently mentioned to me that if using dust sheets on stairs that they must be securely fastened.

A simple design that allows the dust sheet to be held in position by lightweight spring loaded poles. These items are very light but not flimsy , a full set is 14 poles and they fit neatly into their own strong bag.
To use these poles i found it best to have the sheet ready at the top of the stairs and roll it down one step at a time while securing each drop with the Safety Stair Rods by compressing the rod and then letting the rod expand to the required width as you work down the stairs. This process takes minutes to do and holds the sheet neatly to the stairs. Each rod is fitted with an end cap and will not mark the paintwork.

Care must be taken that the ends of the rods must sit securely against the stair stringers and not against the sheet itself.

As said before all poles slid nicely into their own hard wearing bag and weigh next to nothing.

They are bright yellow in colour and add to the safety aspect.

While talking to the Safety Stair Rod people i was informed that not one item has been returned due to failure in a year of production.
When you lay your dust sheets out, you are showing the client that you have respect for their property. When you secure the sheets you will be seen as having a high regard for safety. I see that as a good way to be and i am sure brownie points will be given to you by the client.

Now while doing this small review i was thinking that could anything be done to improve the product and while i came up with a few ideas, one being the colour should maybe black and yellow (as in hazard warning). I came to the conclusion that it would only add to the final price and was not nescessary.
So the overall impression i have is a big thumbs up and something i would recommend in everyones tool kit.

But wait!
Ever tiled a floor and wanted to block it off to stop someone carelessly wandering over the still wet tiles or grout ?

Ta Daaaaaaaa ! :thumbsup:

2 products for the price of one, gotta be good ! :hurray:

If you wish to purchase these, they can be obtained via [mod edit] removed link to supplier, TradeTiler will be stocking this pretty soon thanks to Neale... and the price ??? about £22 + P&P

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

Re: Review for Safety Stair Rods

thamks Dave,looks good and the way forward ..nice and tidy.:thumbsup:

M

Mark B

These look like a great idea - I always have to warn customers about the hazard of my dust sheets on their stairs. The heavy cotton ones dont seem to be quite so slippery as the synthetic ones but I've never seen a cotton stair runner.

Mark

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

In the interest of safety for all our TilersForums members and readers i have recently evaluated an item that i believe should be in every tradespersons tool kit along with the dust sheet.
I am sure that over the time that you have been working in houses and have laid the dust sheet down the stairs, you have found that they can be a hazard. They do have a tendency to trip you up and they can also move on the stairs. It was recently mentioned to me that if using dust sheets on stairs that they must be securely fastened.

A simple design that allows the dust sheet to be held in position by lightweight spring loaded poles. These items are very light but not flimsy , a full set is 14 poles and they fit neatly into their own strong bag.
To use these poles i found it best to have the sheet ready at the top of the stairs and roll it down one step at a time while securing each drop with the Safety Stair Rods by compressing the rod and then letting the rod expand to the required width as you work down the stairs. This process takes minutes to do and holds the sheet neatly to the stairs. Each rod is fitted with an end cap and will not mark the paintwork.

Care must be taken that the ends of the rods must sit securely against the stair stringers and not against the sheet itself.

As said before all poles slid nicely into their own hard wearing bag and weigh next to nothing.

They are bright yellow in colour and add to the safety aspect.

While talking to the Safety Stair Rod people i was informed that not one item has been returned due to failure in a year of production.
When you lay your dust sheets out, you are showing the client that you have respect for their property. When you secure the sheets you will be seen as having a high regard for safety. I see that as a good way to be and i am sure brownie points will be given to you by the client.

Now while doing this small review i was thinking that could anything be done to improve the product and while i came up with a few ideas, one being the colour should maybe black and yellow (as in hazard warning). I came to the conclusion that it would only add to the final price and was not nescessary.
So the overall impression i have is a big thumbs up and something i would recommend in everyones tool kit.

But wait!
Ever tiled a floor and wanted to block it off to stop someone carelessly wandering over the still wet tiles or grout ?

Ta Daaaaaaaa ! :thumbsup:

2 products for the price of one, gotta be good ! :hurray:

If you wish to purchase these, they can be obtained via www.ssrods.co.uk and the price ??? about £22 + P&P

Love the rods mate, was it you that thought of the wet-tiled-floor protection? Well done if so mate!

My only concern would be the quantity, counting my stairs I'd have a few steps missing, and buying anther set I'd have most of the second set left over. Though to be fair the bathroom in this house is downstairs and I wouldn't let you near my bedrooms with tiles. :p

Though it does spark the question, how many stairs do you lot have?

D

DHTiling

A standard staircase needs 12 of these rods, you get 14 in this set, and if you live a 3 storey house then 2 sets doesn't cost the earth does it...

This is one of the best H&S products i have seen..

D

David - Tradetiler

Should be available on Tradetiler website soon :thumbsup:

Reply to Review: Safety Stair Rods in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks