Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Returning unused tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Tile Shop

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Sounds like someone's measurements were well off point. even though you may have had to buy the matting in increments of full rolls or 5 meters, you were still 11 out???

To be honest, many companies do have fairly generous return times given they type of products they are dealing with. 9 times out of 10 though, the returns are fit for nothing and end up in a skip at the companies cost. Large companies like Topps may be able to lose that kind of money for the sake of keeping customers happy. Smaller companies with higher individual overheads may not.

Aside from the statutory right to a cancellation of a full order or your whatever timeframe for a refund or replacement of faulty products, they don't have to offer any form of returns policy.

Good luck in selling them and if you have no joy on ebay or gumtree, try posting in our "for sale" section. pop some images up of everything you have, stick a price on it and see if you get any bites.
For-sale and Wanted Forum - https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/for-sale-and-wanted-forum.12/

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the 32sqm of tiles would have been with 10-15% extra and then they've rounded up again with the matting. By the sounds of it.

I know this is a pain in the arse for you but it's better than fitting all the tiles and being a few short and then not finding they have the same batch in.

So it's why you get too many really. Saves you money in that sense.

D

Dumbo

I'm confused, so for that reason "I'm out".
The info is coming in dribs and drabs ..
He got 35 m of dural he had 11 left over
There for he put down 24 m of dural .
Allowing for a bit of waste I reckon his floor is 20 -22 Sqm

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, I don't know why I have 11m of mat left either!

I had a sealed roll of 30m and an unsealed roll which was, according to the invoice, 5m...

Maybe it was more....

Anyways, the measurements are not really the point, the point is it's a PITA to run out at the end of a job, so having a bit in hand is always handy, IF you can take it back unused.

Lesson learnt...

I think the mat will sell on ebay. tiles not so sure....

There are 4 packs...

OP
R
Reaction score
Trust me I use dural a lot and they don't give it away . I you brought 35 m you got 35 m

Trust me, this place would... No sign of any tape measure in use there.

Regardless, there is 30sq m under the floor and an 11m roll sitting here. It hasn't grown onvernight, so the 5m bit must have been 11m. I didn't bother measuring it, we just laid it.

Atleast it means I might get enough to cover the cost of the extra 5m, if I can sell it on ebay at half price! :)

OP
R
Reaction score
sounds like someone can't use a tape measure. To be so far out with both tiles and mat

So you have a room that's 30sq m. It's rectangluar, with a wide threashold on one side and a doorway on another and a step on another. The bond is Opus or Roman. The tiles come in .74sq m packs.

The packs all have the same number of tile types in, as mentioned above.

When doing the cuts around the edges, you could use the right size tile for the pattern and have end up with a load of big offcuts or you could use up offcuts to keep the as many unopened packs. Which is what we did. Our plan was foiled by the non return policy.

Still, this is all besides the point.

Question was, is a return policy, within 14 days, unopened materials
the norm or not? I thought it was. Maybe it isn't.

W

WetSaw

So you got 6m2 of mat for free and you've 2.96m2 of tiles left after a 30m2 job.
I'm struggling to see what problem you have with the tile shop. If you hadn't been lucky with the set out and needed to order more tiles only to be told they're a different batch what would you be saying then? What if some tiles broke while cutting? You'd be glad you had those spares then.

D

Dumbo

Trust me, this place would... No sign of any tape measure in use there.

Regardless, there is 30sq m under the floor and an 11m roll sitting here. It hasn't grown onvernight, so the 5m bit must have been 11m. I didn't bother measuring it, we just laid it.

Atleast it means I might get enough to cover the cost of the extra 5m, if I can sell it on ebay at half price! :)
I don't understand you said they sold in 30 ,10 and five metre rolls .
I'm taking you ordered a 5 and 30 metre roll . We're these rolls wrapped/unopened and I take it you laid the 30 metre roll .

OP
R
Reaction score
I don't understand you said they sold in 30 ,10 and five metre rolls .
I'm taking you ordered a 5 and 30 metre roll . We're these rolls wrapped/unopened and I take it you laid the 30 metre roll .

I ordered 32sqm of tiles and asked for matting too. Didn't ask for 32sqm of matting... they didn't mention that they only sell 5,10,30m rolls.

I arrive to collect tiles and matting. There are two rolls. One sealed 30m and one unsealed of unknown length but certainly looked like at least 5m. After finishing the job and thinking about taking unused section back (the remains of the 30m roll), I noticed the actual lengths they had billed me for, 30+5m.

So the unsealed roll must have been more than 5m. maybe it was a 10m roll. who knows. They didn't measure it. I didn't measure it.

We laid 30m of it - using the unsealed roll of Xm first and had 11m left.

Reply to Returning unused tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock