Discuss Restoring rediscovered Victorian tiled pathway in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

DaveW

-
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm restoring an old black and white tiled victorian pathway (see pictures attached). When I moved in the path was completely covered in 3 inches of concrete and terazzo tiles (horrible 1970's job). I've chipped all this away to reveal the old path, which is in reasonable condition given the circumstances but has a lot of chips and cement residue and some missing/ broken tiles. I've sourced a load of replacement tiles so I'm good for spares.

My question is about cleaning and finishing. I've used HG tile cleaner, and tried HG cement cleaner (product 11 in their range). This is more acidic and has cleaned the tiles v well but left the black ones looking bleached and lighter than they should. I'd like to darken them back to the dark grey colour, so any tips on doing this would be much appreciated.

I'm also interested in how people finish tiles, and have noticed that some seem to use sealant to create a sheen. Other stuff I've read has suggested wax or oil. Would this work for an external path like this? (I've also got a tiled hallway so thinking ahead about how to tackle this - its in much better condition but needs brightening up).

For the cracks I've experimented with milliput epoxy putty, but getting a colour match is tricky. the superfine white is a bit too white - how do people go about fixing cracks and chips?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Dave

DaveW

-
Reaction score
Sorry - photos now attached. They didn't work when I posted originally for some reason

IMG_20200502_124047331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200502_124055292_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200425_175701099.jpg

Reaction score
Hi. You can only use an impregnating colour enhancing sealer.(plenty). Any glossy topical seal will peel off outside.

Reply to Restoring rediscovered Victorian tiled pathway in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks