Discuss Residual moisture in new build floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am in need of some advice. I’ve started tiling the entire downstairs of a new build property (Bovis).

I’ve used Dural durabase as a decoupler and started tiling. I noticed the next day that the adhesive wasn’t drying fully and looked damp in places. I lifted a tile and the addy hadn’t fully cured underneath.

I left a bucket on the floor and there was a damp ring formed under there also. My thoughts were that there must be some moisture still in the floor? Some guy from Bovis has been round and said it’s fine but I’m not convinced.

the subfloor is 75mm Fibrecrete and the roof didn’t go on until October. Is there a reliable way of checking whether the floor is dried out enough?

Any help very much appreciated

J

J Sid

The adhesive between the uncoupling and tile is damp?
What adhesive have you used?
Slow set will not fully cure for weeks and rapid can look damp for days depending on the temperature.
A damp screed will be fine with a cavity mat like ditra and not affect what's above it

Reaction score
The adhesive between the uncoupling and tile is damp?
What adhesive have you used?
Slow set will not fully cure for weeks and rapid can look damp for days depending on the temperature.
A damp screed will be fine with a cavity mat like ditra and not affect what's above it
[automerge]1579117426[/automerge]
Hi Julian, I’m using rapid set (Topp’s tiles own brand). Yes it’s between the tiles and mat where I’ve noticed the moisture. That being said I’ve not yet lifted the durabase to have a look. I’m a bit stuck with how to proceed as my gut feeling is the floor hasn’t had enough time to dry out. Now I’ve capped it off with a decoupler and tiles it’s like the floor is beginning to sweat.

D

Dumbo

Hello guys, I am in need of some advice. I’ve started tiling the entire downstairs of a new build property (Bovis).

I’ve used Dural durabase as a decoupler and started tiling. I noticed the next day that the adhesive wasn’t drying fully and looked damp in places. I lifted a tile and the addy hadn’t fully cured underneath.

I left a bucket on the floor and there hygrometer
[automerge]1579117426[/automerge]
Hi Julian, I’m using rapid set (Topp’s tiles own brand). Yes it’s between the tiles and mat where I’ve noticed the moisture. That being said I’ve not yet lifted the durabase to have a look. I’m a bit stuck with how to proceed as my gut feeling is the floor hasn’t had enough time to dry out. Now I’ve capped it off with a decoupler and tiles it’s like the floor is beginning to sweat.
The floir can breath through the cavity air channels that why Schluter say and I think dural also they are happy for the mat to go on the screed as soon as it is dry enough to be weight bearing , which is wet

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
moisture between the tiles and the mat is nothing to do with the screed/concrete underneath the mat. the presence of moisture in the screed/concrete wont prevent the adhesive from setting. It might stop it sticking but wont stop it setting. the only time ive seen what you are describing is where tubbed adhesive was used... not saying you've used tubbed but thats is the only time ive seen it.

Reply to Residual moisture in new build floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks