Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Required Tiling Standards | Wall and Floor Tiling in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
As someone who does some tile but is not a professional tiler, could someone tell me if there is a British tile Standards which specifies allowable errors in tile work? i.e. all tiles must be laid with a lippage of less than 0.5% of the longest length or something similar?

I appreciate this isn't a huge question but I need to find out the answer reasonably quickly and would appreciate any help.

Many thanks!

ACCESS BRITISH STANDARDS IN WALL AND FLOOR tile FOR FREE HERE:
British Standards in Wall And Floor Tiling BS 5385 For Free

NEW WAY TO GO ABOUT IT HERE: https://www.tilersforums.com/thread...-british-standards-for-free-these-days.89724/

tile STANDARDS - BS5385​

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

dock

For wall tile clause 7.1.9 Tolerances of BS 5385 Part 1:2009
For floors clause 7.1.4 Tolerances on finished floor level of BS5385 Part 3:2007

OP
C

cr0ft

Dock, many thanks for your swift reply. I've tried to look at this online but apparently it is £120?? I was wondering if it is possible to access this information for free anywhere as it is a lot of money to pay out given that tile is not my main profession.

Many thanks for your help.

OP
D

dock

£120!! and there are five parts to this BS. send me a pm and I'll see if I can fax or post those bits to you

OP
D

david campbell

Dock, many thanks for your swift reply. I've tried to look at this online but apparently it is £120?? I was wondering if it is possible to access this information for free anywhere as it is a lot of money to pay out given that tile is not my main profession.

Many thanks for your help.

your local library should have these available if it's large enough:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
T

TRATRA RA

Dear All,

I contacted a few libraries in London but the access was refused as I am not a member.

I am waiting for the card from the New Castle library.

I would really appreciate it if you would be able to share these standards with me, please.

Best regards
RA

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I contacted a few libraries in London but the access was refused as I am not a member.

I am waiting for the card from the New Castle library.

I would really appreciate it if you would be able to share these standards with me, please.

Best regards
RA
Wait for you Newcastle library card to come through and login. Or become a member of a local one (but check they have access to BSOL first).

They can't be redistributed legally. And cost thousands if you pay for them.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Arms
Reaction score
There's always talk about British standard for tiling but I'd like to the the buggers who make the tiles held to a higher standard coz there's far to many bendy wobbly crap tiles

OP
O

One Day

I'd like to see an independent fixers association here in the uk who set their own standards. British standards are woefully outdated and err massively on the side of corporate politics.

It'd be even better if the people behind BS5385 would involve some of us fixers instead of the seeming reliance on laboratory testing and tilers who are so long in the tooth, that they are out of touch with modern practises.

(I have a full set of standards btw. Gifted to me by an ex bsi director i worked for)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

One Day

There's always talk about British standard for tile but I'd like to the the buggers who make the tiles held to a higher standard coz there's far to many bendy wobbly crap tiles

Corporate interests help fund the standards. It'll never happen.

OP
T

TRATRA RA

Dear All,

Thank you for your replies. I received the New Castle library card.

Which of these two standards are superior: the British Standards or the National House Building Council standards?

I would like a clarification if it acceptable for a tile company to choose which one of two standards they wish to follow or do they have to abide by the British Standards?

Best regards,
RA

OP
W

WetSaw

British Standards are just that, NHBC are a company that sets it's own code of practice and sells warranties to builders so has its own agenda.

Reply to Required Tiling Standards | Wall and Floor Tiling in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock