Discuss Replacing single victorian tile in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello,
before I attempt it and apart from loads of care and patience, are there any tips or techniques for removing and replacing a single tile (2 1/4 inch) from a victorian floor.
Usual thing, there's not much grout to play with, they're tightly packed.

Thanks
TN

J

Just Rizzle

i would cut along the grout joint first with a thin blade on my angle grinder so isnt touching any other tiles then break the tile from the centre to remove

Reaction score
Thanks all. Image attached (hopefully).
It's the small square encaustic (the one with circles on) that needs to come out. An original tile that's a better colour match has been bought.
Am worried about lifting other tiles either side.
Cheers
IMG_3503.JPG

T

Time's Ran Out

If I understand your intention it’s to take out the small red square tile because it’s slightly pale compared to its rectangular neighbours, yet your leaving the blue chipped triangle and adjoining rectangle with a hole in it!

Reaction score
No, there will be three tiles that are the corners of the border, when the floor is complete. The other two haven't survived along with a 2 metre patch (due to overeager plumbers way before we bought the house).

We've managed to match all the tiles we need through Ebay and Craven Dunnill Jackfield.

I'm keen to keep a bit of character so the odd chip is welcome.

If I can lift this one easily enough and replace with a reclaimed one, it'll look more considered.

It's certainly too tight to get the angle grinder down there.

D

Dumbo

Just drill a load of holes in it to weaken it then tap it with a hammer and pick the pieces out .

Reply to Replacing single victorian tile in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks