Discuss Replacing shower tray - help needed. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

pc__tf

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to replace a shower tray. It sits on a base of plywood so I reckon it was glued. No access from underneath.

Any recommendations on how best to do this? Brut force? Chisel and hammer? Or is there a more advanced way of doing this?

The tiles sit on top of the tray - do I have to remove the lower row of tiles? Or can those be saved?

Any recommendations on how to tackle this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

Attachments

• shower-3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 31
  • shower-1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 30
  • shower-2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 27
D

Dumbo

Is it damaged if so you may be able to get s repair kit from someone like Anglo adhesives

Reaction score
That would stress me. I’d take the bottom row of tiles off if they were recently fitted and save them. Then you have space to pry or whatever the ply and tray. If you leave the tiles it’s one of those that after you may wish you had removed them.

pc__tf

TF
Reaction score
Hi.
Thanks for the replies.

Installation is old so tile removal basically requires hammer/chisel. That's why I'd love to avoid this.

The shower tray does not slope to the drain almost at all plus there is inclination toward the door too. So water escapes.

want to install a tray with a lip.

so basically if the tray is glued it must be pried out via brute force, correct? No method to do it a bit more elegantly?

Reaction score
I'd say use a bit of brute force.. try to use a pry bar to lever up the right hand corner.. if you can pull it off adhesive and get it moving might be able to pull out from under the tiles.undo the waste first 😉

Reaction score
Hi.
Thanks for the replies.

Installation is old so tile removal basically requires hammer/chisel. That's why I'd love to avoid this.

The shower tray does not slope to the drain almost at all plus there is inclination toward the door too. So water escapes.

want to install a tray with a lip.

so basically if the tray is glued it must be pried out via brute force, correct? No method to do it a bit more elegantly?
I had same experience before now,but I was lucky the glues weren't that strong,so I used a knife on the ages where the glues are and separated the glue from the tray

D

Dumbo

If it's a stone resin tray just break it up with a hammer , start by the drain where it is thinnest . Easy

Reply to Replacing shower tray - help needed. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks