uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Replacing laminate flooring with ceramic tiles - increase in height in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

B

bangerdude

Hi,

She who must be obeyed has instructed that the existing laminate flooring in the kitchen must be replaced with ceramic tiles, but I think we have an issue with the height available under the existing worktops.

The existing flooring is laminate (6mm) laid over fibre underlay (6mm) which is directly over floor boards. The floor boards are a bit uneven, hence the use of the fibre underlay. There is a gap of approx 8mm between an existing dishwasher and the under side of the worktop.

The advice I have received is that I will need to lay 18mm plywood over the floor boards in order to give a stable level surface which will not flex too much. On top of that will be adhesive and ceramic tiles giving an additional depth of approx 8 - 10mm.

So the issue is that I have available space of 6 + 6 + 8 = 20mm and would like to fit ceramic tiles, which will require an available depth of 18 + 10 = 28mm (plus a bit to allow the dishwasher to be fitted under.

Is there anything I can do to make it all fit? I am unable to easily move the worktops up as there are ceramic wall tiles directly above, plus I'd rather avoid the need to modify sink and gas hob pipework if at all possible.

Is there anything which is narrower which can be used in place of the ply? Or any other options?

Lifting the floorboards and replacing with chipboard isn't really an option as this would require removal of the units etc.

Thanks for your help.

UK Pro Tiling Training
M

Mike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You must be logged in to see the message.

I

Ian

P

peckers

J

jay

Reply to Replacing laminate flooring with ceramic tiles - increase in height in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor

New Threads (Sitewide)

The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.