Discuss Replace glass tile - which adhesive to use? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Dear all, as a homeowner, I have had to hack off a glass tile which is backpainted from a wet room.

It seems that the tile was pressed into a cement like glue as there are no visible trowel lines and it was really difficult to remove the remains of the old tile without hitting it very hard in places.

As a result, I don't have any space between the new tile and the surface to put a 2mm or 3mm bed of adhesive. I was wondering if I could simply glue a new tile on with low modulas neutral silicone like Dow Corning 785N bearing in mind there is a copper pipe to contend with.

Thanks for any advice

20201109_171637.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
normally with a painted back you would use an epoxy adhesive but many manufacturers now have cement based adhesives suitable .. a glass adhesive as you mentioned would need to be suitable for a wet area as well.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice.

Would a silicon based adhesive be suitable for a single tile? Or should I use a cement based adhesive designed for glass tiles?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice.

Would a silicon based adhesive be suitable for a single tile? Or should I use a cement based adhesive designed for glass tiles?
The last thing you want is bleed through , contact your local suppliers for a suitable adhesive ...
[automerge]1605006585[/automerge]
Also try carefully to remove the old adhesive , allowing room to bed the new tile in-situ.

Reply to Replace glass tile - which adhesive to use? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks