Discuss Replace floorboards with 25mm plywood in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all

Bathroom have floorbords ontop of joists

decided going to strip them all and just replace with 25mm plywood maybe put hardbacker on it….

question

can i just put the 25mm ontop of the joists and screw in a line on top plywood right into the joists

i think they are 400mm apart and no noggins

im thinking around the whole bathroom in the edges put around? So can screw edges of plywood into this?

my plan is to tile ontop of this and remove creaks forever

Reaction score
Hello, I hope all is well.

Another alternative you could do is putting 22mm or 18mm interlocking construction boards on top of the joists. Allowing you to tile straight on top. A1 Fire Rated, Water resistant, no squeaks etc.

Dan

Reaction score
Hello, I hope all is well.

Another alternative you could do is putting 22mm or 18mm interlocking construction boards on top of the joists. Allowing you to tile straight on top. A1 Fire Rated, Water resistant, no squeaks etc.

Dan
Is that cementboard?

Reaction score
Very bad on one side and they all creak somewhat
If you did not want to remove the floorboards I would recommend using the 12mm cement boards on top (overboard it). Alternatively it comes in 9mm or 6mm. In terms of strength 6mm is equivalent to 15-18mm plywood (to get an understanding).

The other alternative as previously mentioned would be using either the 18mm or 22mm construction boards which are designed to go straight over joists.

Obviously thickness would depend on what height you need.

Reply to Replace floorboards with 25mm plywood in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks