Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Repair of vintage quarry tile floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am trying to match the grout joints of a century-old quarry tile entrance floor after re-setting a single tile loosened during renovations. The joints are about 1/2-inch wide and appear like un-coloured cement mortar with the sand grains very apparent (see photo). I realize that the repair will be apparent to some degree, but would like to get close as possible. Will traffic and cleaning improve my repair over time?
Does anyone know what the original materials/methods were or have experience with this kind of repair?
I have done color tests with standard brick mortar mixed with sanded white grout to adjust the tint.
-
quarry tile 20220221_155005.jpg
thanks

R

Robert Maldonato

You can sand some of the existing grout from an inconspicuous spot to get some of the original grout colored powder then grout the repair area and dust to cover the surface. It helps to try to match the color as close as you can. I’ve done this with the weird colored grouts that were hand mixed and dyes added. I’ve had my own tile business over 35 years and do amazing repairs nobody will touch. Hope this helps.

Reply to Repair of vintage quarry tile floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock