Discuss Reno extras mounting up in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ASHACK

-
Reaction score
Hello! We're doing quite a sizeable house renovation, and want to change from laying wooden floor in the new utility and kitchen (total 26sm) to laying ceramic tiles (20cm x 20cms). Our builder says it's a lot more expensive to lay tiles than wooden floor, and wants to charge us an extra 600 quid, excluding the cost of tiles (total cost for the job excluding tiles would be 1,800 quid, with the tiles 2,400.

Given we are already spending 300k with the builder, is this a fair addition do you think? I presumed that extras would be costed super competitively, given the scale of the project, but any extras seem to come in at 'high street prices'. We would need decoupling matting to be laid and he says that is expensive.

Could I also if this is fair, and how long a 26sm tiling job should take? The rooms are newly build as part of an extention - so a shell.

Cheers!

Reaction score
It is a lot more labour intensive to lay tiles imo. With a wooden floor you don't have to worry about things like priming, lippage, grouting or adhesive, just lay the underlay down and crack on.

In my opinion £600 extra is not an unreasonable extra changing from wood/laminate etc to a 20x20 tile over 26m2. The materials alone would be in the region of £150 - £350 extra for tiling.

Reply to Reno extras mounting up in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks