UK Pro Tiling Training
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Removing wooden laminate from under existing kitchen units in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

J

JON HUME

Some advice please -
I have a kitchen to tile which was installed on top of wooden laminate flooring.
The kitchen has a polished stone worktop and I am concerned if I remove all the laminate the units will drop slightly and damage the worktops.
The kitchen units are in a U shape with various recesses for appliances, with one of the unit runs dividing the kitchen/diner - so not against a wall. This run only has a 12mm wooden back to it and two recesses so not removing the laminate would look odd I think. But should I cut the laminate around the edges of the units to leave the support in place?
Sorry, hard to describe and I have no images.

timeless john

Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
16,145 153 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Kitchen units are often packed up to level them out and you just tile to the legs with the plinths covering the joint.
So yes they have to remove the laminate.
For me I’d not accept any liability in preparing the the substrate and insist it’s done prior to starting any tiling contract.
Any future settlement and subsequent damage to the stone tops will come back to bite you without doubt.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
8,745 24
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Some advice please -
I have a kitchen to tile which was installed on top of wooden laminate flooring.
The kitchen has a polished stone worktop and I am concerned if I remove all the laminate the units will drop slightly and damage the worktops.
The kitchen units are in a U shape with various recesses for appliances, with one of the unit runs dividing the kitchen/diner - so not against a wall. This run only has a 12mm wooden back to it and two recesses so not removing the laminate would look odd I think. But should I cut the laminate around the edges of the units to leave the support in place?
Sorry, hard to describe and I have no images.
Most kitchens have adjustable legs, I would take out the laminate
a piece at a time then adjust the legs to as you go

J

JON HUME

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could you not cut around the legs and side/back panels of the units leaving enough laminate in place to support the units still and then tile up to the cut laminate??

Q

Qwerty

Yes, just cut the laminate at the feet leaving it underneath them. Use a Fein or other reciprocating cutter to do this. That way the laminate will remain under the legs and you never need to disturb it.

Discuss fully with owner, write down the method and get it agreed at least in an email. Take loads of before, during & after photos too and just double check your liability insurance!

J

JON HUME

Thanks All, I’ll do as Plan Tech recommends and ensure it’s all explained and agreed in writing prior to my arrival.

Q

Qwerty

The others are corrct regarding the stone and movement. I've seen a well fixed marble worktop go pop in the middle before when there has been the slightest of movement

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
18,281 183
I've used Albert's method loads of times and not had an issue yet....
Although the weight of a stone work top may put me off a bit..

Personally I wouldn't get involved..... Tell them to get it ripped up ready for tiling....
Hate gambling...

W

WetSaw

How much clearance is there on the appliances? Tiles tend to be thicker than laminate...

J

JON HUME

How much clearance is there on the appliances? Tiles tend to be thicker than laminate...
There’s plenty of clearance. I have gone back to the customer and asked him to arrange the safe and secure removal of the laminate ready for tiling. I have pointed out the issue and he is happy to sought it all! Thanks for ALL of your advice chaps

Reply to Removing wooden laminate from under existing kitchen units in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor

New Threads (Sitewide)

Click here to support the forum/remove ads
uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.