Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing wooden floor from underneath kitchen cabinets. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Went to view a kitchen yesterday.
The kitchen cabinets are sitting on 15mm solid wood flooring. The flooring is bulging in the middle of the floor. I believe this is caused because the heavy kitchen is sitting on the wood and the wood has nowhere to expand to (except upwards). Customer wants wood removed (about 30sqm) and replaced with UFH & 600x600 porcelain tiles. My problem is how do I remove the wood flooring from around and under the cabinets? I have found a tool called ‘Toe kick saw’ but it only seems to be available in the States. Also, I believe it is quite a dangerous tool to use. This tool will cut upto ¾ inch in depth and will cut right up to the cabinet. Is there anything in the UK that will fit the bill. The kitchen cabinets are solid wood really expensive with granite work surfaces. Cheers Sean

J

jay

wouldn't it be easier to have kitchen removed if you go cutting the floor theres a chance the kitchen will sag

M

Mike

why not just remove the wood as far as the front feet? that would be easier and you may be able to prop the units up as you go along. under the units is out of sight and you won't be able to tile under there anyway . and you may be lucky depending on which way the wood runs that you may not have to cut much.

OP
Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
P1020075.jpg P1020074.jpg Cutting to just behind the kickboards should not be a problem. The problem lies with the parts of the units that are on show i.e. the pillars and the sides of the breakfast bar and fridge. I may have to go back and have another look underneath the units.

C

CJ CERAMICS

Sean would a fein not be able to cut around the posts? might be a daft answer sorry if it is.

chris

OP
Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sean would a fein not be able to cut around the posts? might be a daft answer sorry if it is.

chris

Chris, It's probably not a daft answer, a fein is one of the few tools I do not have in my collection. I bought an exakt DC270 at the Home Show a few weeks ago.I have used it for cutting kick boards with perfect precision - brilliant tool, but no good for this application. Can a fein cut into 15mm hardwood? Cheers Sean

C

CJ CERAMICS

Not too sure sean to be honest i only tend to use mine for door frames etc...hopefully later on one of the big guys may be able to help more.

chris

Reply to Removing wooden floor from underneath kitchen cabinets. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock