Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing white marks from black bathroom tiles in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, In the space of a couple of weeks my beautiful gray/ block stone bathroom tiles on the floor of the shower have developed white spotty patches in various locations. What are these marks ? Apparently we have soft water and thus it’s unlikely to be calcium or hard water stains.
I did change my cleaning product to a cheaper supermarket brand with no listed ingredients so perhaps the product has penetrated the stone tiles?? It’s just strange that it only appears on certain tiles. Can anyone help? Can the marks be removed or the tiles resurfaced ? I’ve tried detergent, vinegar and scrubbing hard but nothing seems to work. Any help or product recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 40ABE8DD-982F-4E78-BC8A-CBA20E9A188C.jpeg
    40ABE8DD-982F-4E78-BC8A-CBA20E9A188C.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 8DBCA744-6A57-4F18-9399-EFAF00A187FE.jpeg
    8DBCA744-6A57-4F18-9399-EFAF00A187FE.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 23
C

CL in SoCal

I have the same problem in my new house. The black tiles installed by prior owners now have cloudy white residue and actual white rings on some that water has no affect on, nor does vinegar/water combo, Windex, regular Clorox, or this powder stuff for bars that has muraic acid. If I can figure out what works, I'll let you know, and please do the same. - CL

OP
C
Reaction score
I have the same problem in my new house. The black tiles installed by prior owners now have cloudy white residue and actual white rings on some that water has no affect on, nor does vinegar/water combo, Windex, regular Clorox, or this powder stuff for bars that has muraic acid. If I can figure out what works, I'll let you know, and please do the same. - CL
I’m still in the dark as to how to remove these white marks but will let you know if I find a solution.
the tiles are not new, nor is the grout. Maybe the sealant ( assuming they were sealed originally) has deteriorated over time and has allowed water, soap and cleaning product to be absorbed into the tiles ??

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I’m still in the dark as to how to remove these white marks but will let you know if I find a solution.
the tiles are not new, nor is the grout. Maybe the sealant ( assuming they were sealed originally) has deteriorated over time and has allowed water, soap and cleaning product to be absorbed into the tiles ??
What stone is it ?

OP
C
Reaction score
What stone is it ?
I’m not 100% sure what sort of stone it is. I attached some photos in my original post. Dark gray, matt finish perhaps slate based ?? I purchased the house 2 years ago and no problems until a few weeks ago . 🙁

Reply to Removing white marks from black bathroom tiles in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock