Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing timber floorboards for tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello everyone ,I am a diy tiler and just joined the forum as i will be doing a lot of tile with a new project /old house in hand .

I want to turn one of the upstairs bedrooms into a bathroom in our old cottage. There are standard pine floorboards in every room including this one at the moment.
Once turned into a bathroom the floors will be tiled .

My question is if i remove the floorboards can i replace them with 18mm plywood (so that the floor level remains close to original) and can i tile directly over them after sealing the plywood surface ?
Or is there a better way of doing this , perhaps using OSB3 etc instead of plywood ?

IMG_4335.jpg

Reaction score
Hi, I would overboard the floor with a moisture resistant flooring grade chipboard (tounge and groove). Glue the joins. Then overboard with a cement based backer board (no more ply/Hardie) bedded on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and screwed down. Fibreglass tape the joins for good measure,then tile. Will be absolutely solid đź‘Ť

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice , i had to google some of the stuff above but i think i have a good idea now.

A few mini questions though ;
- The chipboard (P5) seems to come in 18mm and 22mm version . Would i get away with 18mm one ?
-Also will i have to glue the chipboard on to the joists as well as screwing them down ?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice , i had to google some of the stuff above but i think i have a good idea now.

A few mini questions though ;
- The chipboard (P5) seems to come in 18mm and 22mm version . Would i get away with 18mm one ?
-Also will i have to glue the chipboard on to the joists as well as screwing them down ?
No need to glue if screwed. And 22mm if possible but 18 will suffice if nogged sufficiently

Reply to Removing timber floorboards for tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock