Discuss Removing timber floorboards for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

S

schakal

-
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,I am a diy tiler and just joined the forum as i will be doing a lot of tiling with a new project /old house in hand .

I want to turn one of the upstairs bedrooms into a bathroom in our old cottage. There are standard pine floorboards in every room including this one at the moment.
Once turned into a bathroom the floors will be tiled .

My question is if i remove the floorboards can i replace them with 18mm plywood (so that the floor level remains close to original) and can i tile directly over them after sealing the plywood surface ?
Or is there a better way of doing this , perhaps using OSB3 etc instead of plywood ?

IMG_4335.jpg

J K Tiling Cornwall

J K Tiling Cornwall

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I would overboard the floor with a moisture resistant flooring grade chipboard (tounge and groove). Glue the joins. Then overboard with a cement based backer board (no more ply/Hardie) bedded on adhesive and screwed down. Fibreglass tape the joins for good measure,then tile. Will be absolutely solid 👍

S

schakal

-
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice , i had to google some of the stuff above but i think i have a good idea now.

A few mini questions though ;
- The chipboard (P5) seems to come in 18mm and 22mm version . Would i get away with 18mm one ?
-Also will i have to glue the chipboard on to the joists as well as screwing them down ?

Dave

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice , i had to google some of the stuff above but i think i have a good idea now.

A few mini questions though ;
- The chipboard (P5) seems to come in 18mm and 22mm version . Would i get away with 18mm one ?
-Also will i have to glue the chipboard on to the joists as well as screwing them down ?
No need to glue if screwed. And 22mm if possible but 18 will suffice if nogged sufficiently

Reply to Removing timber floorboards for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)