Discuss Removing tiles from plasterboard (with a twist) in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

serval

TF
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive got a slight issue..... trying to remove 10mm thick tiles from a plasterboard wall in a bathroom.
since the wall would get badly damaged trying to chisel/scrape the tiles off.
Ordinarily id just cut the plasterboard out, tiles included and replace the plasterboard then re tile.

The problem here is that the wall is made of paramount plasterboard..... (two bits of plasterboard with a honey comb card board structure bonded between the two.

what do you guys normally do in this situation?

If i try to remove the tiles, the wall will get trashed.....( It already is where ive removed a few tiles)
If i try to cut out the entire wall, add some battens to the inside of the remaining side of the wall then re tile/fit wall furniture etc im not sure if it will be strong enough.

What do you guys normally do in these situations?

Thanks

Reaction score
When I have removed tiles on these type of walls in the past and caused damage. I've cut out the damaged sections and slotted in timber. B&Q used to do a planed square type that almost fitted perfectly. Was only 40 something mm but I had to glue it in place. The honey comb cardboard can usually be pushed back in places so the wood can slot in and be picked up with a screw from the face. Smaller holes can be foamed in. đź‘Ť

serval

TF
Reaction score
When I have removed tiles on these type of walls in the past and caused damage. I've cut out the damaged sections and slotted in timber. B&Q used to do a planed square type that almost fitted perfectly. Was only 40 something mm but I had to glue it in place. The honey comb cardboard can usually be pushed back in places so the wood can slot in and be picked up with a screw from the face. Smaller holes can be foamed in. đź‘Ť

Thanks for this.
I guess I'll have to do this. Is it worth trying to at least remove the tiles or just skip that and cut the wall out and replace to save time?

Last edited:

Reply to Removing tiles from plasterboard (with a twist) in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks