Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing skirting for wall tiles, floor already tiled. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Basically I have a tiled floor in a toilet with skirting in place, as we were not sure if we were going to tile the walls or just wallpaper.
Now decided to tile the walls so I will remove the skirting, I just wanted to know how to get the tile to the correct thickness so it sits where the skirting ended.
Is it a case of thicker base of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ or am I best to board the walls to bring it out slightly before tile?
The walls are painted plasterboard.
The tiles are roughly 9mm thick and the skirting roughly 20mm.

I was also wondering how to trim the top with the boxed edging do I just get a 20mm trim and then it's pressed back against the wall so it covers the tile and also the excess area behind it?
Thanks.

H

hmtiling

Either leave the skirting on or board the wall out. Don't try and make an 11mm bed with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
I'm not sure 20mm trims are available. They could be but if not board the entire wall.

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Thanks, can't leave the skirting as they are profiled and thinner at the top, about the thickness of the tile, so with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ the tile would stick past the top of the skirting.
What would be the best boarding to use, it's in a toilet so not going to get wet.
Thanks.

H

hmtiling

Thanks, can't leave the skirting as they are profiled and thinner at the top, about the thickness of the tile, so with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ the tile would stick past the top of the skirting.
What would be the best boarding to use, it's in a toilet so not going to get wet.
Thanks.
Standard plasterboard will be fine

D

Dumbo

If you don't dislike the idea of skirting fix your tiles to the wall down to the floor then retro fit skirting on top of the tiles or pack the skirting out on battens .

D

Dumbo

As I'm only tile 1/2 height would you board just to where the tile would go?
How you you finish it with the bigger gap at the top, are there trims for that?
Thanks
Right I would definitely pack out the skirtings rather than have a big step at half height all round the room

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
If you don't dislike the idea of skirting fix your tiles to the wall down to the floor then retro fit skirting on top of the tiles or pack the skirting out on battens .
Thanks, the skirting will be destroyed when removing as they are nailed in so was just going to cut them out with the multitool.
I am going to leave the door frame and checks in place so can't put skirting on top of tiles after as they won't match up and stick out way too.

O

Old Mod

Trim top of the skirting off with multitool so that tile sits down on top without overhanging skirting.
Should be able to get flush finish if you cut in correct place, or just cut complete moulding off so they sit on square top skirting.

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
What other boarding could be used that isn't as thick as plasterboard?
I only need the total distance from wall to tile face to be about 20mm to take up the space of the skirting.
Tiles are 600x300x9mm ceramic tiles from porcelanosa.
Thanks

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Trim top of the skirting off with multitool so that tile sits down on top without overhanging skirting.
Should be able to get flush finish if you cut in correct place, or just cut complete moulding off so they sit on square top skirting.
Good idea, will look into that, see what the wife says, I do like the look of tile all way to ground.

Reaction score
If your going to overboard the walls then to avoid a step you'll need to board to ceiling height. Alternatively remove the skirtings, tile down to the floor and then cover the gap between the wall and floor tiles with scotia/quadrant

O

Old Mod

What other boarding could be used that isn't as thick as plasterboard?

You can get 4, 6 & 9mm wedi style board, or 9mm plasterboard.
I’d still trim skirting tho, that’s the most cost effective method, plus it’s a simple one step operation.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would take the skirtings off tile down and re fix new skirting, but I would return it into the architrave to avoid a untidy edge.

Like this
CEE9206A-2727-4EDA-9C8F-797F9862338A.png

Or like this

0C30A60A-6068-4943-A033-EDCFF112B7E6.png

T

Time's Ran Out

Tile the half wall then cut a tiled skirting to go around at 100-150mm high with top of trim to match half height trim.

Reply to Removing skirting for wall tiles, floor already tiled. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock