Discuss Removing 'picture framing' from tumbled limestone in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

johu

-
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a problem I'm desperately hoping someone can help with.

I laid a tumbled limestone floor in a kitchen 2 weeks ago and when I applied the LTP Mattstone sealer that the tile supplier recommended, it turned the tiles from light grey, to more of a brown colour which is exactly what we didn't want. We then wanted to strip that sealer off and used LTP Grimex to strip it off and for the most part the tiles are back to the original colour except around the edges and corners. I originally though this was stubborn sealer but after many many more attempts to try and remove the stain in these areas I have ended up with no progress leading me to think it is picture framing/ water damage.
I have attached some photos and if you've any ideas at all on how I could get rid of this rather than rip the hole floor up and do it again I would really appreciate it.
As I haven't grouted yet I can see the edges of the tiles and it does look like this staining does go quite deep into the tiles in some places.

thanks in advance

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image0.jpeg

johu

-
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Not the addy I don't think. I used Kerakoll rapidset white and the problem only showed up after I'd been stripping the sealer off the tiles.
Any ideas on a way to solve it?

thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
I can't see that you've done anything wrong tbh.
Ltp mattstone and grimex are good products.
Have u a spare piece , unsealed, off cut of the Limestone?
I'm thinking, If u have, wipe off the dust with a damp cloth, let it dry and see what u have.
Could it be the stone itself?
It's often hard to see the true colour when it's covered in the dust it comes with.

johu

-
Reaction score
I can't see that you've done anything wrong tbh.
Ltp mattstone and grimex are good products.
Have u a spare piece , unsealed, off cut of the Limestone?
I'm thinking, If u have, wipe off the dust with a damp cloth, let it dry and see what u have.
Could it be the stone itself?
It's often hard to see the true colour when it's covered in the dust it comes with.

Thanks again. Yea I have off cuts both sealed and unsealed and they're just light grey all over with nothing around the edges and they weren't like that. Is there any way to rectify it if it is picture framing?

Reaction score
Sorry to say I don't know.
If you don't get any good answers I'd try calling Ltp and send em the pics.
I've always found them to be knowledgeable

johu

-
Reaction score
Sorry to say I don't know.
If you don't get any good answers I'd try calling Ltp and send em the pics.
I've always found them to be knowledgeable
No worries. Thanks. Yes I've tried LTP and they gave me the information about the Grimex but don't seem to have any other ideas about the remaining staining.

Reaction score
Good morning,
Perhaps try a fine grade sand paper on an off cut?

Also, if u have a friendly local tile shop, you could take the off cut in and ask them to apply in certain marked areas abit of different sealers and see how it all looks when dry.

You may have already but, you could try the stone supplier to see if they have had an similar issues. Whether they would admit if they had mind?

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score

Reply to Removing 'picture framing' from tumbled limestone in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks