Discuss Removing grout in mosaic pits in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

kelly123

Hi there,
Wondered if you could help… we’ve just had our bathroom tiled with mosaic tiles. These tiles are textured with pits in them and now that the tiles have been grouted, the grout has also gone into all of the pits, which gives a finished effect that I didn’t want. Luckily the tiles are very pale, but they aren’t white so you can still see the grout in the holes.

I can live with it if I have to but would like to know if there’s anything I can do about it. They were grouted a couple of weeks ago now so the grout has definitely gone off. Even if I can’t do anything about the bigger holes, a lot of the pits are quite small and even getting rid of the grout in them would improve the overall look. Now that the grout has gone off, if I scrubbed with a brush would it work?

Also I’d like to know if the guys that did our tiling should have left it like this? There was loads about what they did that we weren’t happy with and we have spent days putting right what they did. I’m happy with it now, except for this problem.
Thanks!

K

kelly123

They are neither... I think they're glass? The ones with a coloured metallic sheen that you see in the light.

W

wetdec

Also I’d like to know if the guys that did our tiling should have left it like this? There was loads about what they did that we weren’t happy with and we have spent days putting right what they did. I’m happy with it now, except for this problem.

So you didnt pay them yet right :incazzato:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kelly123

Don't ask... my fella paid them, he didn't look too closely, I wasn't there but gave them a right earful when I got home... they made a few conciliatory remarks 'if you're not happy, we're not happy... we'll see about a refund' but it was all talk.

D

davediy

I put up some mosiac tiles round by daughters bath. i did rub them over an hour or 2 after grouting with a dry dish cloth that got the worst off but next day a vigorous rub with a dry cloth buffed up the tiles and got rid off most off the rest. the odd bit that didn't come off i "encouraged" to shift with a stanley knife blade but be very careful if you try the same. the dry cloth certainly broght up a nice sheen on the tiles. i don't know if grout remover would be any good perhaps someone else has tried it?

M

MICK the Tiler

If they are pitted glass try a soft nailbrush and some warm to hot soapy water. grout residue is commom with these type of tiles.

Reply to Removing grout in mosaic pits in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks