Discuss Removing Grout from Mosaics in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All,

Weve had one of our contractors install some small hexagon mosaics recently and have just had an angry phone call about the condition of the grout.
Mosaic Grout.jpg

Not sure of the cause, but this is what it looks like - pretty shocking. The gappy patch in the middle is probably the worst of it

Digging out the grout manually would take forever (its about 5m2 of backsplash and each hex is 23mm wide) so looking for alternatives
Have looked into various cement residue removers, but cant find anything that says it will fully remove grout - do you think it might atleast soften it so it can be shaped and reset? Or soften it enough to easily remove then overgrout?
Would it be easier to just rip all the tiles off the wall and start afresh?

Thanks

Reaction score
try grouting over this abortion with a fast drying grout like bal micro balm use a new grout pad and do only a small patch at a time get all grout of area and move on then polish off with a dry pad only wash at the end thats what i would do.it looks bad due to grout been to wet for the mosaics and been draged out when grouting. its an easy solution.
pay my expences and ill come out and fix it :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi! As I can see from the picture, the grout overfill the gap just in a small area.

If this is true, I would take a bit of the grout off, in the area affected, then grout again all the wall with a thin grout, something made for 2-4 mm, to make good grip with the cracks in the old grout

Higgz

-
Reaction score
I grouted something like that recently, I would rather rip that out and start again.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Tried a few chemicals, like mapei pulicol 2000 and phosphoric acid - which softened the grout up a little, but still a mission and a half.
Think we've now got it to an ok standard - far from perfect, but acceptable

Reply to Removing Grout from Mosaics in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks