Discuss Removing floor tiles & adhesive from concrete floor / prep for tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Kb599

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping to remove floor tiles and tile our kitchen (Just under 8sqm) in the next few weeks.

The existing tiles are around 15 years old installed on a concrete floor which was levelled prior to tiling. They have held up fine over the years,no cracks etc but noticed some of the tiles sound hollow when tapping.

My question is moreso related to the adhesive under the existing tiles as im concerned I'll have a tough job removing from the concrete floor to obtain a flat surface for tiling, so just trying to get some advice in advance so im prepared.

What would be the best way of removing the tile adhesive from the floor?

Im on a tight budget unfortunately and do not have much of a range of tools currently.

I will have a helping hand removing the tiles and another tiler friend will help with the tiling job itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping to remove floor tiles and tile our kitchen (Just under 8sqm) in the next few weeks.

The existing tiles are around 15 years old installed on a concrete floor which was levelled prior to tiling. They have held up fine over the years,no cracks etc but noticed some of the tiles sound hollow when tapping.

My question is moreso related to the adhesive under the existing tiles as im concerned I'll have a tough job removing from the concrete floor to obtain a flat surface for tiling, so just trying to get some advice in advance so im prepared.

Im on a tight budget unfortunately and do not have much of a range of tools currently.

I will have a helping hand removing the tiles and another tiler friend will help with the tiling job itself.

Some hard
Hi All,

Some hard graft with hammers and chisels, floor scrapers, sds breaker with chisel attachment or if the adhesive is sound enough then slc over it if you dont have height concerns, one option is far easier than the other obviously
[automerge]1583426502[/automerge]
Some hard

Some hard graft with hammers and chisels, floor scrapers, sds breaker with chisel attachment or if the adhesive is sound enough then slc over it if you dont have height concerns, one option is far easier than the other obviously
Does your tiler friend not have any advice for you?

Kb599

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, i appreciate it! And yes good point will give him a shout he is away on holiday currently so thought best not to pester him with work stuff :)

Reply to Removing floor tiles & adhesive from concrete floor / prep for tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks