Discuss Regrouping and sealing horror in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Finn64

-
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I’m new to this forum and hope someone can help me. I’m generally trying to do as much repairs in my home as possible and not simply because I’m strapped for cash or a woman.
I’ve recently had to have someone do a trace and access because my boiler pressure was dropping rapidly. It was found quickly at a junction to a bathroom radiator. When the area was accessed a shower leak was also found.

I’m now attempting to fix this and despite a good job of grout and silicone removal, I’ve done a horrendous reapplication and my problem is not solved. My shower is a fully tiled enclosure and the leak appear to come from where the corner of where the floor and wall meet. I know there is no issue with the waste pipe. The original grout used was Mapei Ultracolor plus.

My first error was that I used some opened, leftover grout powder which although dry was still beyond the recommended time for using. The second problem is that my silicon (Everflex premium + 500 bath and sanitary silicone) application was my first attempt. I believe a sound silicone application would override poor quality grout?

I’m starting again and have the following questions:

What is the best grout to use for my shower setup? Is the combination of poor grout and bad sealant likely my problem, or is a tiled shower cubicle floor (versus traditional tray) just a bad idea and will I always be scourged with leaks?

Thanks in advance for advice and views.

Finn

Reply to Regrouping and sealing horror in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks