Discuss Redoing bathroom with large format tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Afternoon. I'm planning on re-tiling our small (1.8m by 2m) bathroom in our late 1970's house with some large format tiles that I've come by, but in doing some research on how to fix them I think I've hit a snag and would appreciate some confirmation before I completely change my plans.

The tiles are RAK Ceramics 300 x 600 x 9.5mm (I think they are the same as Lounge Ivory Matt Porcelain - https://www.tilemountain.co.uk/rak-tiles/p/lounge-ivory-matt-porcelain.html but I'm not near the boxes at present), so quite heavy (from memory the box says 24kg for 6). Two of the bathroom walls are external so plaster over blockwork, with the others studwork which seems to be formed from two layers of plasterboard sandwiched around a cellular cardboard structure. Some of each is currently tiled with 150mm square basic white tiles, rest painted.

From what I've seen, I don't believe the walls will take the weight as they stand? I think my options are either to give up, flog the tiles and find something smaller/lighter, or possibly use backer board fixed to the walls. The concern I have with the tile backer board (aside from trying to keep costs down) is that on top of the tiles a 6mm backer board (if this is thick enough) plus adhesive and tiles will be close to 20mm, which will not sit well against the door architrave (not to mention making an already small room smaller!).

If anyone can confirm my suspicions as to the wall strength, and whether a 6mm backer board is thick enough I'd be grateful so I can consider my options. Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Reaction score
I think I have managed to answer my own question - I'll need 6mm hardibacker boards but aside from the added cost (I'm working on a tight budget), the additional depth will look stupid against the skirting and architraves - tiles would oversail by 5-8mm.

Had a look around and think I'll simplify and go for smaller tiles that I can apply straight to the wall. Hopefully easier in a small room and won't make the room look too tiny.

As a result I've now got 79 RAK 300 x 600 tiles in two colours - 42 in Lounge Polished Ivory (5 boxes and 12 loose) and 37 in Lounge Polished Beige (3 boxes and 19 loose) that I need to sell on - anyone on here interested and in Norfolk before I offer them elsewhere? I know one is broken but can't remember which colour and I am not up to shifting them all tonight to find out which!

Disappointed that I can't use these, but the project was getting carried away with itself if I stuck with them (pardon the pun!).

Reply to Redoing bathroom with large format tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks