Discuss Recommended shower corner tile detail in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Mick

TF
Reaction score
Hi
I've been looking around but I cant find a recommended shower corner tile detail.

Maybe there is something in the British Standard, I've not seen this and it seems difficult to obtain?

I have a U shaped enclosure. I have sketched a detail, is this OK? Or is there a better way of doing it. Leaving say 3 mm gap between tile for movement and a silicone fillet at corners= green, yellow = tanking/adhesive, blue = grout, red = tile, black = background
Thanks
shower_detail.png

O

On one

For me a 1mm or a 2mm gap in the the corners for silicone. If you opt for 3mm,by the time you apply the silicone sealant,the joint will look in excess of 5mm.......looking far larger than the surrounding grout joints.

Mick

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I was planning on just a traditional silicone fillet, I have the Fuji tools so hopefully wont be too messy.
I was interested more in what tile overlap and gaps pro tilers left at the corners to allow for expansion and yet keep the water out and look neat?

On one YouTube video "Ultimate Handyman" (about half way through the video)
seemed to allow over a tile width for expansion, like the enlarged sketch below.
shower_detUH.png

I was thinking of allowing less with the tiles half lapping over each other to keep the water out more, like below:
shower_detMy.png

I was planning leaving a 2-3mm expansion gap, between tile and wall and tile and tile, (the latter filled with silicone with a neat angled silicone fillet finish on the surface, do you think this would be better?

Last edited:

Mick

TF
Reaction score
For me a 1mm or a 2mm gap in the the corners for silicone. If you opt for 3mm,by the time you apply the silicone sealant,the joint will look in excess of 5mm.......looking far larger than the surrounding grout joints.
Thanks for your reply.
It's very important for it to look neat, I didn't know if there was any width to depth ratio I had to maintain for a silicone infill?

P

Perfect Tiling

I would do as the second picture above. If you do like the top picture and leave a big void in the corner then you will have to fill the whole void with silicon. This can shrink when it drys and look awful. Tile one wall into the corner with a gap to the plasterboard then the tile meeting this tile leave a 2mm gap with a spacer.....this is your silicon joint. Fill it with silicon the same colour as the grout and use a silicon profile tool to give you a nice neat radius of around 6mm. With this seal and a fully tanked substrate you should have no future issues.

Reply to Recommended shower corner tile detail in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks